q's: late 70's land cruiser axles

bigbluetoy

hey guys, i came across a sweet deal on a set of late 70's model land cruiser axles. axles are clean and seem in decent shape and they are coming from a friend. i drive a 93' yota pickup and have been trying to locate a deal on some axles to make me bite the bullet and do the sas. how are these axles. is the rear end stronger/weaker than my stock yota 8". is the front worth it or should i just wait for an 84-85 yota or dana 44 to arrise from the mist. thanks for any and all input guys. later

'76-'78 have smaller birfs and knuckles than the minitruck stuff, but the mini parts will swap right over, the inner part of the C just needs a little grinding for the birf.

The disc brakes on the front are better than the mini stuff.

The front axle will be slightly narrower than your current rear axle. The rear axle, in addition to being offset, is a similar width to the pre-'86 minitruck axles.

Depending on the year, you might have 3.73 gears. If you've got 4.10's, then you probably have (But not necessarily) a 10-spline pinion, which can break when subjected to stupidity. Up front, a coarse spline pinion (no matter what people say) is PLENTY strong.

The third members with a coarse pinion are approx. the same overall strength as the 8", BUT.. put a fine spline in there, and it's MUCH stronger. The axle shafts are the same 1.31" 30-spline as the pickups, but the rear shafts have a funky neck-down that causes problems, along with c-clips. Oh, and the rear wheel bearings SUCK!

Define "sweet deal", and I might be able to give you a more definite "go for it" or "pass on it" opinion.

All you really need is a '85 front axle from a minitruck, and a V6 third member for the rear, and it'll be pretty strong for what I'm guessing you're gonna run it.

honestly i say just get a 79-85 truck front axle... UNBREAKABLE here on this board has several for a good price and he's not too far from you... also, dont listen to the hype about 79-83 axle housings being junk... if you truss them with one of the aftermarket over-the-axle trusses and some knuckle ball gussets from FROR (which you should do with any yota front axle) they're all the same in the end... just my .02

Rich summed it up pretty good.

If the axles are from a '78 they will have 4.10 gearing with the fine spline pinion. These are the hard to find third members that the Cruiser guys want.

If the axles are from a '79 or newer, they will have 3.70 gearing with the fine spline pinion. But they will also have the larger birfields and knuckles. They should also have Aisin hubs.

If they are '76-'77, they will be 4.10 with a coarse spline pinion. If they are '75 or older they will have drum brakes.

I used the better parts from the Cruiser axles and mini truck axles when I built mine.

R.K.

Back