Question:How do I get my rusty old spindle bearings out of my spindle?

86m1008beater

Question:How do I get my rusty old spindle bearings out of my spindles?

How do you guys get them out quickly? I'm assuming use heat but I can't find my propane torch, and I tried beating it with a socket long ext, sledge and it didnt work. All Ive been able to do it break the outer lip apart.

cut it apart?

Rich said:
cut it apart?

I replaced both my spindle bearings in my 60, and that is how I got them out. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut across them at an angle.

DK

drkelly said:
I replaced both my spindle bearings in my 60, and that is how I got them out. I used a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut across them at an angle.

DK
That is the best way to do it.

i made a punch with a slight S at one end, and let the spindles soak in WD for a couple of days upside-down. then beat them out with a 4# hammer. worked pretty good.

although the dremel idea didn't cross my mind at the time, it would work as well.

I find the tips on most 3 jaw slide hammer pullers are too thick to get in the groove behind the spindle bearing and just tears them up.

I ground down the tips on an extra set of jaws. Worked OK-ish until the tool guys got tired of replacing them.

Tool Guy: "HEY - this has been ground. It isn't broken."

Me: [Innocent look] It's NOT ?!?!?!
:rolleyes:
Hmmm - well, I'll be darned. Can you just do it this time...?

Tool Guy: Grumble grumble.
:mad:

Finally bought one of these a couple years ago.

abuy1.snapon.com_catalog_OBJECTS_18800_18730.JPG

Goes on the regular slidehammer.

Snap-On
Puller, Pilot Bearing
Stock#: SP2031

Snap-On Pilot Bearing Adaptor

Works great about 80% of the time. The rest of the time, I cut them out with a die grinder.

If the link above doesn't work, try this one.

http://tinyurl.com/db3yh

I did the S thing with a brass punch and a hammer and did mine. Worked descent, but the tool mentioned above looks like the ticket.

put a notch on the end of a punch so it can get behind the bearing and apply BFH pressure. Clean all the grease out you can first. This technique will not work if the bearing was pressed too far. I had one from a Bronco that was rusted so bad I had to use a dremel wheel to cut it a little to get it loose. Don't worry about destroying the bearing just get it out.

Back