Questions on a 6.7 Ford

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
Looking at 2016 and up F250s and F350s diesel. What do I need to know about them? How many miles is too many?
It will be my daily driver, family rig, tow rig. I put about 20k miles a year on my truck.

Find a way to delete it. The Delphi pump and level sensor in the DEF suck. I replaced 2 in 20k mikes before I deleted for cheaper and been great since.

early 6.7 engines leak oil from the upper oil pan. It’s just what they do.

I have 300k miles on my 6.7. Only issues I’ve had were the def pump and thermometer and 1 water pump. Oh, 2 months ago I randomly had a start relay go out, but was a $30 fix. 6 months ago had random 2 bad batteries after being parked for 2 months. No other issues or hiccups with the 6.7 in the 6 years I’ve owned it.

Mine is a 2012 and has 266k miles on it and I love it. Had about 230k when I got it. Owned for 3 years. Have done typical routine maintenance like brakes, shocks, batteries. Only unplanned maintenance i can think of is the factory boost hose busting a couple months ago. Less than $100 for the OEM part and I was back on the road. Truck rides, drives, and pulls almost like new. Ford interiors seem to hold up better than the others, and the drivetrain on these trucks is solid. You'll pay a premium for a 2015+ truck. I understand why you would want the newer one also.

You're welcome to come drive mine and see what a well maintained quarter million mile example is like.

If you want your old truck back I might could arrange that lol.
I miss that Cummins, but the reason I got rid of it is that after 3 back surgeries, I just couldn’t comfortably drive it, even after installing nice 4th gen seats in it. I test drove a 4th gen not long ago, and I couldn’t drive it either.

Mine is a 2012 and has 266k miles on it and I love it. Had about 230k when I got it. Owned for 3 years. Have done typical routine maintenance like brakes, shocks, batteries. Only unplanned maintenance i can think of is the factory boost hose busting a couple months ago. Less than $100 for the OEM part and I was back on the road. Truck rides, drives, and pulls almost like new. Ford interiors seem to hold up better than the others, and the drivetrain on these trucks is solid. You'll pay a premium for a 2015+ truck. I understand why you would want the newer one also.

You're welcome to come drive mine and see what a well maintained quarter million mile example is like.
I may take you up on the offer to drive it.

I miss that Cummins, but the reason I got rid of it is that after 3 back surgeries, I just couldn’t comfortably drive it, even after installing nice 4th gen seats in it. I test drove a 4th gen not long ago, and I couldn’t drive it either.

I may take you up on the offer to drive it.

I don’t blame you. The new Fords ride a million times better. I had a company 2015 F350 Lariat, CCLB for a short time. It rode like a car, I was blown away. Then the boss gave it to his son :(.

Your old truck has been good. Only left us on the side of the road twice, with expensive tow bills, and trailer shuffling but all that’s fixed now lol.

Everybody that knows me, knows I'm a Cummins fan, but I would have a hard time deciding between a Cummins and a 6.7 Ford if I was in the market for a newer truck.

That being said, I know you said 2016+, but just in case you decide to go older, stay away from 2011 and early 2012 trucks. The injector hold downs were cast and break. They were revised to stamped steel after that. Turbos had ceramic bearings and did not last. Turbos have changed several times and 2015+ are the most reliable. Also the early exhaust manifolds will warp and break studs. I can't remember if this was due to the studs or the manifolds. I know it was enough of an issue for Ford to create a TSB but I've only done one and it had over 300k miles.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

I’ve got a 2013 350 with 195k on it. Haven’t had any major issues.
I deleted it myself. The older turbo began to squeal under load after doing so.
I swapped it with the 15+ retrofit kit with the upgraded 62.5mm billet wheel. Had a couple exhaust studs that were broken. Fixed those.
Boost pipe replaced with aluminum instead of plastic to prevent blow out like @jeepinmatt had.
I put a disaster prevention kit on it. (Fuel reroute for failure prone cp4 pump)
The 15+ have a cp4.2 hpfp which are less prone to failure.
I’ve done the main water pump.
hydroboost was replaced. It was leaking hydraulic fluid.
Vacuum pump rebuilt. Was leaking oil.
did a pcv reroute to prevent gunking up the intercooler
Just now had to do ball joints and bearings.
I did have a caliper piston crack up front and I lost brakes one day. So it’s got all new brakes up front. Basically it’s all just maintenance stuff except the turbo and preventative stuff.
Great trucks. Stuff adds up though. With proper maintenance, I’ve seen them get over 500k.
Also, it will be for sale if I can ever find an older truck to get out of my payment. Don’t want to sell, but could use the $ now.
16+ will put you ahead of me. I was basically making mine newer and spent some $ doing so.

Thanks for the info guys. I bought a 2017 F250 with 128k miles last weekend. There was a 2015 similarly equipped for about $10k less, but when I got in it, there was a smell. I didn’t even drive it.
the one I got is a NC truck and appears to be all stock. So far seems solid. Looking under the hood and comparing to the old 5.9 Cummins I used to have, there is so much stuff packed in there, it looks like you have to disassemble everything to do anything!

Thanks for the info guys. I bought a 2017 F250 with 128k miles last weekend. There was a 2015 similarly equipped for about $10k less, but when I got in it, there was a smell. I didn’t even drive it.
the one I got is a NC truck and appears to be all stock. So far seems solid. Looking under the hood and comparing to the old 5.9 Cummins I used to have, there is so much stuff packed in there, it looks like you have to disassemble everything to do anything!
Share ballpark of what that cost ya? For others in the market

2017 with 128k miles? Trying to tune my “used car market” gage. Would a 2017 with half the miles cost you an additional $10k from what you were browsing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share ballpark of what that cost ya? For others in the market
It’s a Platinum Ultimate. About five-oh.
2017 with 128k miles? Trying to tune my “used car market” gage. Would a 2017 with half the miles cost you an additional $10k from what you were browsing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Easily 7-10 if you get a similarly equipped truck. You can find XLs from Texas for 40, XLTs for 45. You can find them even a little less than that if you don’t mind a rental from Pennsylvania.

Attachments

• 0D25ACBC-786A-4B4D-AF85-3EAE325FF68B.jpeg
    0D25ACBC-786A-4B4D-AF85-3EAE325FF68B.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 135
It’s a Platinum Ultimate. About five-oh.

Easily 7-10 if you get a similarly equipped truck. You can find XLs from Texas for 40, XLTs for 45. You can find them even a little less than that if you don’t mind a rental from Pennsylvania.
Nice looking truck and abiyut what I figured.
I have been quoted a 2021 platinum gas 7.3 for $53k....thats why ive given up on the used ones

Nice looking truck and abiyut what I figured.
I have been quoted a 2021 platinum gas 7.3 for $53k....thats why ive given up on the used ones
If I wanted gas, I’d be right where you are looking at new ones. That’s how it was 2 years ago when I was looking at 1/2 ton trucks. Ended up buying a brand new one because the savings in getting used just wasn’t there.

If I wanted gas, I’d be right where you are looking at new ones. That’s how it was 2 years ago when I was looking at 1/2 ton trucks. Ended up buying a brand new one because the savings in getting used just wasn’t there.
I feel ya. I dont want gas, or didnt when I started this....but have began leaning that way.
They offered me $27 for my truck..but handing them my truck and $26k is just hard to swallow.

Back