Quick pop-up tents

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Now that my son is into Boy Scouts, I expect to be camping w/ the Troop but tenting alone.
I have a great 3-man Big Agnes tent I love, but it's ridiculous size and work for just me.
I also have an old cheap Fish 'n Stream Dicks special that is worn and starting to leak, so I'm thinking of getting a new tent.
This is just for basic camping where we have fairly easy car/trailer access or short hikes.

Even though I've been setting up tents my whole life, I'm at the point where it gets tiring and these cool new instant-setup styles seem pretty appealing - experience thus far is that there is something gained by being able to pop up my tent, throw the gear in it, and then be available help w/ other stuff.
Or, start taking that nap in the backpacking hammock...

Any experience w/ something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQF6OB4?psc=1

Or even better, anybody know of one where the rain fly goes at the way down?
My experience w/ tents has been that in that style, where the sides are still partially exposed, when you get a hard rain water runs down the middle of the sides and onto the main tent fabric where it is only mildly water resistant and wicks through.

I have the coleman one its bulky but works great

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Same here. We waterproofed and seam sealed the whole thing the day we bought it and it has never leaked either.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

8 person coleman here...quick up but so going down and back in the bag. First time up,sealed it with spray. I also do tarps over it for rain flys with one making a walk way in. Rained all weekend the first time up and didn't leak at all.
phelpstent.jpg

Check the website www.oztent.us and check out the Malamoo classic tent. They claim it sets up in three seconds. Oz tent is an Australian company.

We have the Coleman one. 10' x 9'. Setup is quick. Did not come with a fly. We normally move the easy up over top of our tent at night anyway.

Thanks.
All you guys w/ this Coleman model, is it that bigger 4-6 man one?
I only need a 2 man, but I can use that as a comparison on the mechanism style at least.

Have you ever had issues w/ the sliding/folding mechanism? Seems pretty simple, but also seems like if it were to break or fail you be f%cked.
Although maybe a well-placed hose-clamp might work

on the 8 person I have,the legs are really beefy. Ozark had their own style at the time but in comparing the two,the Coleman was more bang fo de buck. Now,in all seriousness, in speed in assembling and taking down,nothing beats my dog tent I use at reenactments. It's no thrills with no bottom but some wheat straw spread out inside,you be like a bug in a rug.You would be the talk of the troop with one.Envy of all.

Thanks.
All you guys w/ this Coleman model, is it that bigger 4-6 man one?
I only need a 2 man, but I can use that as a comparison on the mechanism style at least.

Have you ever had issues w/ the sliding/folding mechanism? Seems pretty simple, but also seems like if it were to break or fail you be f%cked.
Although maybe a well-placed hose-clamp might work
We have only used ours maybe a dozen times, but have not had any trouble with the folding frame.

I have the 4 man one and it big enough for a single airatress and some gear or a queen fits wall to wall its biult well i did buy a rain fly but i have never used it lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If it is just you and some simple gear. I have a Catoma Stealth I. It is a mil spec tent that I have had for about 13 years and it goes with me everywhere to include Iraq, Afghanistan and numerous other countries of interest. Weathered out some nasty shit and been dry. I lay out a small tarp beneath it but still inside the perimeter of the rain fly and then a couple small rain gutters scratched in the dirt. Boom done. Easy up, easy down and packs up real dam easy too. They are all over the web for sale. Average used/surplus price is around $125.

I have nice expensive backpack tents both small and large. I even have a cheap piece of crap Wally World Ozark Trail tent that goes up in like 4 seconds, literally.

I have found that I use the cheap tent 99% of the time because it is so convenient when camping with kids and close proximity to my truck. It's bulky and heavy but man does it set up and breakdown quick! The one i have is 6-man but there are smaller ones.

Rain flaps are typically small they have kept us dry in torrential downpours without adding additional tarps, etc.

I have nice expensive backpack tents both small and large. I even have a cheap piece of crap Wally World Ozark Trail tent that goes up in like 4 seconds, literally.

I have found that I use the cheap tent 99% of the time because it is so convenient when camping with kids and close proximity to my truck. It's bulky and heavy but man does it set up and breakdown quick! The one i have is 6-man but there are smaller ones.

Rain flaps are typically small they have kept us dry in torrential downpours without adding additional tarps, etc.

I think I got the same one. First time I've been really impressed with a tent. So easy! I will never understand how they call it a 6 man, though. It'll be perfect for when me and Boy go on scout trips, though.

We got a new Coleman 98 octagon for Labor Day. It's by no means a pop-up tent but is very easy and fast to assemble. We chose it as the rain fly is full length, yet opens up quickly and easily for max ventilation.

It has steel poles, that are color coded for location. Makes take down and assembly a breeze. It is by no means a backpacking tent, but could easily fit two queen air mattresses.

Our old tent had an outdoor vestibule which was great for storing items out of the weather, but the low ceiling height was terrible for getting dressed in the cold.

The new one is 6'7" in the center. It also has two doors, and capable of diving the center for kids or another couple. It uses convention tent poles in the door frame making a swing open hinged door.

And it fits back in the box. But it is a bit heavy, but the case has a plastic bottom and wheels. Definitely for truck camping, but would feel good about camping year round in it. With the rain fly open, it has screens on all sides for venting. With it closed, it appears I could actually stay dry while camping lol.

Photos from Google.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Back