Quick Question

trailjeepman

Anyone know if a 97 F-150 2wd will tow my 83 CJ on a trailer to Carolina Beach from Burlington? The truck is in excelent shape mechanically and has heavy duty springs on the rear. I can haul up to 3 vending machines on it so I know it wont sag the rear down much. I just dont want to burn the tranny up or something.

Oh! And the trailer is not all that heavy.

What do you think?

A bud of mine hauled his XJ (RE short arms, locked 33"s) to Tellico from J'ville, NC a few years back with a '95 F150... while he did it, it appears he wasn't happy!

He left Tellico a full 45 minutes ahead of me... caught him before Asheville slugging up a small hill (5.0L was screaming!) at 35mph... :shaking:

OTOH, it's all "downhill" to the coast... :D

Stay out of overdrive.

You've got trailer brakes and a controller, right?

Run the tires at max psi. (probably 45 on that truck, but check the sidewalls)

I dont know if I would have that much trouble. I have pulled a 23 ft box truck out of a mud hole with no problem. I am just kinda scared. I have never hauled a trailer behind it before.

Rich said:
Stay out of overdrive.
You've got trailer brakes and a controller, right?
Run the tires at max psi. (probably 45 on that truck, but check the sidewalls)

No trailer brakes but the tires hold max 80 psi. This truck is built for hauling. I just dont know about a trailer!

trailjeepman said:
I dont know if I would have that much trouble. I have pulled a 23 ft box truck out of a mud hole with no problem. I am just kinda scared. I have never hauled a trailer behind it before.

...but pulling something out of a hole, and towing something for a few hours is a tad different. Like Rich said, keep it out of OD,.

No trailer brakes

Think of how hard it is to stop the CJ in a straight line. Now imagine you are driving your truck with a pole stuck out the back trying to hold the CJ in a straight line and stop it with just the trucks brakes...

You will definitely wanna run a bit tongue heavy so the backend of the truck isn't too light, yet at the same time, you don't want the front too be overly light because of it either.

You shouldnt have a problem with it. The motor and gear setup in those things makes them really gutless in any kind of hilly situation but as long as you go slow it should do ok. On the other hand its really not the ideal setup to tow with for the very first time. Id say at least take the traler out with a lighter load on it first just to see how it handles.

No damn way you should be pulling that with a 1/2 ton having no trailer brakes.

That era of F-150 had pretty mediocre brakes to begin with, and it doesn't sound like you have alot of towing miles under yer belt..

You sound bound and determined to do it no matter what... I just hope nothing unexpected comes your way...for your sake, and anyone around you.

edit: Sorry if I sound harsh. I'm not saying you need a 1-ton, but you need trailer brakes at the very least. Ask the guy tonight on US-1 at Hwy 55 if he wished he had trailer brakes when he jack-knifed his trailer and vehicle.

Actually I do have plenty of towing under my belt.......just not behind this vehicle. I am not worried about how it will stop. I know how a truck reacts without trailer brakes. I have pulled my CJ on this trailer without brakes many times. I am more worried about pulling for 3 hours and how my truck will handle that.

I've towed my Jeep a few times with my Blazer. I had trailer brakes and a controller but I towed without 'em once. Not "too" bad. However it is slowwww. Blazer is on 35s, Jeep is on tons and 38s. It'll pull it and stop it, but it hates going up hills!!

Rich said:
No damn way you should be pulling that with a 1/2 ton having no trailer brakes.

Yep the same way I see it no way.
Need to stop quick or change lanes fast and it will not be good.
Also thought DOT now requires brakes on trailers in that weight class? Anyone know for sure?
I flat towed once with my CTD and that was the last, It would just not stop.
You get going down a big long hill and the brakes get hot and you will be in for a fun ride. With that weight you will be at or over the max GVWR for the truck towing, and that was set for trailer brakes and load levelerbars/sway.
I know it is just a rating but it is there for a reason. Don't even want to get into the weighted tag thing.....That you will need....
Also is it worth killing a 9 year old truck for the trip??
Jon

I believe trailers rated for 6000# or more are required to be equiped with brakes.

The trip can be done. Is it the best idea? Probably not. The truck will hold up if the nut between the steering wheel and the seat frame does like it should. In other words, you will determine if your truck survives. Trailer brakes would be a benifit to stopping, but if you go slow, take your time, and use your head, you will be OK.

Before someone says what if someone pulls out in front of you, slams on brakes, etc, think about the situation. How many times have you been low on cash, in a hurrry, or just cannot find any other way. I have done things like this before, wouldn't recomend it from a safety standpoint, but the truck should survive. It is a fairly flat pull from the beach to Burlington.

63cj5universal said:
I believe trailers rated for 6000# or more are required to be equiped with brakes.
Closer to 1/2 that...

§ 20‑124. Brakes.
(f) Every semitrailer, or trailer, or separate vehicle, attached by a drawbar or coupling to a towing vehicle, and having a gross weight of two tons, and all house trailers of 1,000 pounds gross weight or more, shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.

Also noteworthy - Any "house trailer" over 1,000lbs is required to have brakes, too.

I am becoming a bigger and bigger "fan(antic)" about towing with the best possible setup for safety.

Lots of things you CAN get away with for a while until SOMEthing does come up...

At the very least, drive 5 mph or more SLOWER than the rest of traffic on highways so they are passing you, don't be the guy pulling 80mph just cuz they can get there (this goes for us boys with the diesels etc too, we prob push em beyond safety)

if/when you get cut off on the interstate at "speed", and have to slam on brakes/swerve, etc do you feel safe with this setup?

I just ask you be careful man, we don't want to see anyone get hurt...

Sam

OK.......I did tow it there with my truck. It was pretty slow to get up to speed but held pretty well at 65. Braking was pretty bad but I was very careful and didnt have any problems. Except for this dumb lady that dont know how to yield onto the interstate and tried to get over when I was right beside her. Luckily my horn works very well and she hasnt lost her hearing yet! But anyway, I think I will look into getting the wiring to the brakes hooked up on the trailer and get a controller. The hardest thing about the whole trip was finding somewhere to park a truck and trailer at Carolina beach! Thanks for all the thoughts guys!

Back