Racing returns to N. Wilkesboro Speedway

Hopefully they will start a weekly racing program, that would rock! I hate asphalt racing, but I would go to wilkes.

I was at the last race there. Parking sucked but was kind of cool...literally over the hill, thru the woods, and across the creek. I'd like to see it back in use again though, I can't believe 'they' let it go downhill and unused for this many years.

My wife's dad is an architect, he was involved in part of the Rockingham speedway (pressbox?) ... I understand that partly took the business away from Wilkes. He's always felt guilty about that.

I hate nascar but it sucks to see this track rot to the ground. Its only 20 miles from my house.

nothin compares after watching lawnmowers go 60 on dirt at t-ville international speedway

True dat, the only thing better is watching our acting sheriff do 60 on a lawnmower on dirt. Can't hide redneck:driver:

Maybe they should have asphalt grassmower racin at wilkes!

they have a specific dirt track for mower racing that's setup year round in wilkes, lol....that's where i met my g/f~fiance haha. but seeing it on asphalt would be awesome....see if Fox can go win that too.

and yeah...i'm not much on circle racing of any kind...but with it in the backyard again...i'm sure i'll go take some pics there a time or two.

I worked for the company that built the infield garage. And yep, I hot-lapped the Samurai! ( before lift )

My wife's dad is an architect, he was involved in part of the Rockingham speedway (pressbox?) ... I understand that partly took the business away from Wilkes. He's always felt guilty about that.

Not true. Bob Baer ( I think ) or whoever owns Loudon wanted a Nascar date. Nascar said none were available. Texas wanted a date ... again, none available. So they went in together and bought NW and closed it to open the dates.

That would not have happened except the old man died and the greedy kids wanted money now.

I also loved that place. We raced there once a year every fall. I set-up the car that took the green flag for the lack "street stock" race. EXCEPT ... no caution racing in our division ... last lap wreck ( a friend in OUR back-up car ) reverted scoring to the 49 lap. The driver went from 4th to 1st from the exit of turn 2 to the finish line ... but still got relegated back to 4th.

Matt

I worked for the company that built the infield garage. And yep, I hot-lapped the Samurai! ( before lift )

Not true. Bob Baer ( I think ) or whoever owns Loudon wanted a Nascar date. Nascar said none were available. Texas wanted a date ... again, none available. So they went in together and bought NW and closed it to open the dates.

That would not have happened except the old man died and the greedy kids wanted money now.

I also loved that place. We raced there once a year every fall. I set-up the car that took the green flag for the lack "street stock" race. EXCEPT ... no caution racing in our division ... last lap wreck ( a friend in OUR back-up car ) reverted scoring to the 49 lap. The driver went from 4th to 1st from the exit of turn 2 to the finish line ... but still got relegated back to 4th.

Matt

Thats my understanding of how it went down. All the west coast tracks wanted races...

Back