Ramp Truck Car Hauler

GLTHFJ60

I picked up a cab and chassis F-550 recently and am considering turning it into a ramp truck to tow my land cruiser around to the various parks. The ramp truck would also have a hitch so that I can tow a camper or another trailer behind. Has anyone used, or had, one of these? If so, what do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

Trying to make a final decision. Here's one I found in Asheboro recently:

alh3_googleusercontent_com_IZg41pgbN0dQVykpzoJyrQ9sWZibaP85tgPa606b0e83bf7c36d729b4b62e38ed728.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_Wk6EL6OZpnOGxnCVd_1WcAVHgIE_TGgpI9Sa5f5f258f76008127adde3c546492086.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_0EqWivbmBoPIG3FQPqRm0Q52rsHgfCgfZWj225783c4c374a3de806d297eecb437af.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_T91ytKVeXiostNJjF1BRWkH7fKRQmN3smzA3e0310bf812b414312ac3250eebff868.jpg

In to see what becomes of this.......

For hauling my crawler, I loved it. My family and friends loved it too. To borrow it, to call when broke down.
For me the down side was I was pulling a pop up camper, had to load the Jeep, then hook up the camper, put camping supplies in boxes, tied down on bed of hauler. Get to campsite, position and unhook camper, take off boxes, unload Jeep. Was just a pain in the ass for me. For day trips, it was perfect though.

I thought of the same thing at one point but got to thinking about everything I do and to have one truck dedicated to hauling a rig didn't seem practical to me. I need to pull goosenecks, tags, fifth wheels and just be able to drive my truck relatively easy so the ramp truck wouldn't be able to pull all those different trailers and it's too long to just load the family in and run to get something to eat so I stuck with a regular truck and using a trailer. Might be something to think about.

I've got a Land Cruiser that I usually daily drive, and will probably get another car in the future (in addition to the better half's car), so this F550 of mine will end up being just a tow rig and something to drive when the Land Cruiser is broken (like it is right now).

As for having a dedicated hauling rig, I was ready to buy a Freightliner FLD120 crawler hauler (RV conversion) until the deal fell through (seller sold it out from under me) so I got this 550 instead. In my mind, this is the much more nimble and easily driveable solution :driver:

For hauling my crawler, I loved it. My family and friends loved it too. To borrow it, to call when broke down.
For me the down side was I was pulling a pop up camper, had to load the Jeep, then hook up the camper, put camping supplies in boxes, tied down on bed of hauler. Get to campsite, position and unhook camper, take off boxes, unload Jeep. Was just a pain in the ass for me. For day trips, it was perfect though.

Was the bed made by Hodges or something along those lines? Have any pics of your setup?

I want the ability to use this truck for stuff around the house (getting lumber / supplies, hauling off brush/trees) so my current thinking is to extend the chassis and make a large flat bed, like a rack truck, with a short dovetail, and use ramps to get up on top. Something like this but with the rack bed sunk down closer to the wheels to get the center of gravity lower.

Yes, she'll be long, but not unusable. Tons of parking room at work so I can take up as many spaces as I need in a pinch.

aakersrentatruck.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_03_CIMG7982.jpg

Here's the 550, an 04 manual transmission 2wd. I've since removed the wheel simulators, broken bug deflector and chrome wheel arch liners.

alh3_googleusercontent_com_nvU48EQptzmgn4kAmtzhKz6ByIM_Bts8v3vc6973832be3c982bd8d2bdd9bc4a3ddb.jpg

Put together a flat bed to use until I can afford to have the chassis lengthened:

alh3_googleusercontent_com__YR7SnkoLkOLUNrNBRopqYTqFvyqnh3eZk96345268850b477e2c2f95f9e3b63cc44.jpg

alh3_googleusercontent_com_yGOn_IadiuJQedVjmZmVgPz2NSl54GM0v6D99bbf1759d43f41a55fd14a8e837b09d.jpg

The one in Asheboro didn't have a for sale sign on it. I think it was used by the dealership it was sitting at. Took pics of it so that I can build something similar.

Back