RC Crawlers

Well, I'm a complete noob to r/c crawling and r/c stuff in general. Never had a hobby grade r/c before, just basic Radio Shack junk when I was a kid many years ago.

Gonna start doing some research on basic hop-ups and stuff for my LNC. So far, from what I've read and experienced in the yard, I'm going to need to put weights in the wheels.

or get better wheels...
mayhem and vanquish are the only wheels i'll EVER run...i've had a lot more than the pics above show...and those 2 are just the ONLY ones worth having.

you could always look for a LCC tranny and use that for dig...but the FIRST thing i'd do is toss the trash 55t...it's too slow. a MINIMUM i'd go with a 35t handwound, but preferably something like a 19t handwould would be nice. actually, if you wanna go cheap...just get a 21t titan and try it on 2s.

Guys, check out the M & M buggybuild in the Build section! post # 62. The guy is building P J's buggy into a R C!

or get better wheels...
mayhem and vanquish are the only wheels i'll EVER run...i've had a lot more than the pics above show...and those 2 are just the ONLY ones worth having.

you could always look for a LCC tranny and use that for dig...but the FIRST thing i'd do is toss the trash 55t...it's too slow. a MINIMUM i'd go with a 35t handwound, but preferably something like a 19t handwould would be nice. actually, if you wanna go cheap...just get a 21t titan and try it on 2s.

Thanks, I'll check into those wheels.

Not planning on spending too much money on this rig. No dig or anything like that. Ordered some LCC lower links to replace my plastic ones since I've already broken two. Probably gonna upgrade the steering servo for sure after what I've been reading. Probably look into some other basic upgrades as well. I'll do some reading on the different motors as well.

If I get into this and start wanting to get a bit more serious, I'll probably look into another rig. Maybe a LCC or an Axial. Lots of stuff to learn and figure out, so many different setups and styles of crawlers plus I don't know much about r/c in general so I'm having to learn the basics as well.

no need to change rigs....your chassis flat out works.

better tires, better esc, better motor, better/weighted wheels, better radio, lcc tranny, and you'll be good to go for a comp rig.

i don't run dig, personally, if i build another it'll only be setup for sportsman. you can't use a dig in sportsman, so i might pick up a LNC myself.

but if you wanna do some upgrades you can tell...
sedona's with 5.5" nova foams
good steering servo (futaba s9157, hitec 7950@7.2v, or JR 8711)
CC BEC (VERY important)
run on lipo
titan 21t

What about Rover white dots? Seem to have alot of fans on rccrawler. Are the stock Rock Claws that bad?

Well, good to know that my chassis is worth upgrading. Not planning on doing any comps anyway.

Ok, what is CC BEC? Looked on the rccrawler newb section but didn't see anything.

the white dot rovers are AWESOME, as are the pink rover EX's....but the sedona's seem to work REALLY good in our area. Actually...panther cougars with 5" nova foams work really good around here too. Any of those would work great.

and the stock rock claws aren't bad, i should have said when yours wear out...cause i ran claws for a while and they do work good...not as sticky as others, but a VERY proven tire none the less.

and the CC BEC = Castle Creations Battery Eliminator Circuit. basically...it wires in line with your battery and esc. by wiring it up, you send voltage STRAIGHT to the steering servo, and you can even change the amount it gets. If you run a high voltage servo, you use the BEC to send it 7.2v....if you run a regular servo...you make it send 6v. This way you don't get any cut out when you're in a bind and it just makes everything run smoother.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77466&highlight=bec

AX10 all the way. 1/10 scale is what you want. Anything smaller isnt fun unless you use it in your house. Best mods, dig, adding weight to the rims, and new battery on the front links or one the front axle.

Planning on ordering the CC BEC next week. Going to the hobby shop tomorrow, planning on picking up a Titan 21t and maybe a steering servo. Think I could get away with a 645mg or 5645mg? Mixed opinions on these servo's but I just don't want to spend $100+ on a servo right now since I'm just getting started. Just want something better than the stock one.

save until you can get a decent servo, it makes a HUGE HUGE difference. ANYONE that says the 645mg is ok to run, has NEVER had a good servo. at MINIMUM, you'd want a 7955...but even 333oz just isn't enough. the airtronics 94780 was the one i ran (423oz) and it was good, but if/when i build another it'll get the 7950 or the 9157...it's worth the extra money.

if you REALLY wanted to save money, for now....then a hobbico cs150 would be better than stock...it's 193oz at least, for around the same price as the 5645.

Well, I'll finally get my rig back together tonight. Not a single hobby shop in NC had the 17* end links that I needed for my lower trac rods. Horizon said they were supposed to ship 3/26 then it changed to 4/20. Finally found a store in Cali that had some. Ordered the 4 sets of end links that they had in stock and had them 3-day shipped.

Also bought a new stock set of wheels/tires from a LCC off ebay, since they were cheap and I wanted to play around with different weights in the wheels.

Still need to order my CC BEC and pick up the Titan 21t but I'll probably wait a couple of weeks. Just anxious to crawl again for now.

Back