Re-starting the Ride Along Program

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I am starting a separate thread to keep this discussion out of the multiple trail patrol donation threads.

Many people back in the years past probably remember they used to do Forest Service ride alongs. To put it simply some of the FS would ride along with a select few volunteers and give out tickets/etc. To the point people would see certian vehicles and know there was a good chance a FS official was with them.

The program got put on the back burner and over the years it slowly dissapeared.

After a few discussions I have had this seems like a viable option. Not to say there aren't hurdles, such as getting Forest Service employees working weekends. It would be easiest to start off doing it on workdays. Even though people would catch on to this. It would be a good way to get the ball rolling again, and from there work on getting other weekends set up.

No poll on this one, just post up your thoughts. Flame suit on.:beer:

Posted by JC:
How about a ride along program? One where the officers ride with one of hopefully alot of volunteer drivers?

I have had several volunteers offer seats, but my folks usually do not accept. Not exactly sure why. I, on the other hand, will usually take the seat if I am patrolling the trails. Too much walking to get to the back trails.

Quoted from JC's convo.

Seems first step might be getting the FS employees to a point they are willing to ride with people, and then going from there. Getting FS to work on weekends is a must, the traffic during the week is extremely minimal as compared to the weekends.

I am ALL FOR helping them do this, but they need to be willing to make this happen themselves.

I'm with Granny. :)

IF the FS LE would go along with it...this might be viable, more so than a dedicated vehicle, which folks would learn to recognize and avoid. Also would be easy for them to just hit the trail for an hour or two, with almost no overhead time, instead of committing all day to riding the trails (especially if have to drive by HQ and pick up the trail vehicle, or load Rhino on a trailer and unload, etc).

On the other hand... Thinking back on all the times I've been to Uwharrie, there are very few people I have seen "in the act" that would be worthy of being cited. Probably not a good return on the time/expense cost of patrolling on a regular basis.

...and they can do cooler checks, trail pass checks, look for helmet-less ATV riders, etc just as easily at the trail entrances at the double parking lot, and probably write about as many tickets, if they so choose.

Back