rear bumper rules?

riverguide

mud flaps/bumper laws

Hey guys, new here and new to the rules of NC. I haven't moved yet but I will be in the next month or so. I have a 4runner and I was going to remove the rear bumper. I know different states have rules for height and such. If I took off my rear bumper and rolled the metal on the sides, would I get in trouble for it? Also what about mud flaps? Any rules for that? Does anyone have a website with the state rules for things like this? Thanks very much. -Kyle

EDIT- I found this site. Is the laws concerning NC accurate? No laws !! :D http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/33525.pdf

Rear bumper is not needed, feel free to modify accordingly. Also, mudflaps are an option and there is no laws concerning them. Nothing written about tire width beyond fenders either (anticipating your next question). While anticipating, law states no more than 6 inches of added height to be allowed. There is a pretty lengthy post on NC statutes in the important info section. Might want to read it.

linky for the ones that cant find it.

Duane

Now I am curious about this. I don't mean to steer off-topic here, excuse me. But is it common for folks to be ticketed for being a little over? Obviously illegal is illegal, and we should all abide by the law. I am just curious. i.e., 35" tires and 3" on suspension isn't all that uncoomon but would be over by just a hair.
Of course if this is at all enforced I'd expect 9 inches over to be quite noticeable.

On the rear bumper, I'm also curious on other folks' opinion re:safety and damage. I know it isn't required, and mine is also currentlt missing. Just seems that if someone were to to rear-end me, they'd end up scooping under the truck, unless it was an SUV or something, but eitehr way my frame would take a good shock. So I wonder if it really would be better to have it back on?

RatLabGuy said:
Now I am curious about this. I don't mean to steer off-topic here, excuse me. But is it common for folks to be ticketed for being a little over? Obviously illegal is illegal, and we should all abide by the law. I am just curious. i.e., 35" tires and 3" on suspension isn't all that uncoomon but would be over by just a hair.
Of course if this is at all enforced I'd expect 9 inches over to be quite noticeable.

All up to the officer...do what you can stand

RatLabGuy said:
On the rear bumper, I'm also curious on other folks' opinion re:safety and damage. I know it isn't required, and mine is also currentlt missing. Just seems that if someone were to to rear-end me, they'd end up scooping under the truck, unless it was an SUV or something, but eitehr way my frame would take a good shock. So I wonder if it really would be better to have it back on?

Yes and no. Most frame mounted bumpers (stock type) I have seen, offer little in the way of protection. The mounts fold up very quick sticking the bumper in the rear of the rig. They will usually save the frame from major tweaking, but the body gets the brunt of the bumper. I personally prefer to have a bumper back there for the little bit of protection it offeres. I've done it both ways, and felt very vulnerable while it was off.

CAS22 said:
6 inches of lift? that means that since i have 9 inches of lift and 6 extra inches of tire....im illegal by 9 inches...

Most of us allready have broken that law. Just don't be a Dumbass and give the cop a reason to nit pick your rig

Or just move to SC :flipoff2:

Law is headlights must be below 54" off the ground. Makes for some pretty sweet headlight position on the rigs that are running 49" iroks in my area :driver:

its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :D

not that means its ok....

If all else fails....its only a fix-it ticket in the end.

Seth

PoPo said:
Yes, want a cookie?
i was just mentioning it because it never occured to me... How do they enforce stuff like that? During inspection ive never been asked about lift size or anything. Ive had quite a few officers see my truck and never mention either. -chase

I've never heard of or seen anything like that enforced. I would bet that most leo's don't even know of that statute.

:edit: Just don't go overboard and cruise around with 15" lift blocks under all four corners...

rocktoy4me said:
its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :D

not that means its ok....

If all else fails....its only a fix-it ticket in the end.

Seth

Well not really, a fix-it ticket would fall more under a written warning ticket. More than likely if there is any writing to be done it would be on a full fledged traffic citation with a court date and a fine assessed.

CAS22 said:
i was just mentioning it because it never occured to me... How do they enforce stuff like that? During inspection ive never been asked about lift size or anything. Ive had quite a few officers see my truck and never mention either. -chase

They are not supposed to pass anything that is +/- 6 inches from stock at the inspection stations. Of course, there are tons of examples here to the contrary.

As far as enforcing it goes, just need a measuring stick and the proper ride height from the manufacturer. Of course, common sense will dictate that for the ones that will be getting written you can eyeball it.

I have not written any tickets on it, but I have gone the verbal warning route. Don't expect them to change the lift, but I want them to know that they are violating a law. I would most deffinately write the citation in a wreck if the added height of the vehicle caused injury to the other party (read as the bumper was above the door belt line and intruded into the passenger compartment causing injury).

it's a $125 ticket for being over the 6" law too I recieved one for that when the state man pulled me over $100 for court cost and $25 for being over the limit. kinda sucked
since I was leaving for Korea a month later.

So what is the min height requirement for a tube buggy? Since they have to be licensed and insured to run most places, what do they look for? Headlight height?

And what about bastard cases... for example, my trash? Doubtful that many have even heard of a C-104, a handfull of folks may have actually seen one in person, and finding "OEM ride height specs" for something that was produced for 2 years 30+ years ago... *I'M* still looking for that info in written/published form and *I'M* the "authority"! (at least around here :D )

mud flaps and fender flare are of the UTMOST importance

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v280_Kraqa_Kraq_Rock_20Buggy_100_1189.jpg

in canada. :flipoff2:

Back