Rear Bumper with some 'real' back up lights.

nctom

Got Chris over at Mars Fab do some repairs and mods on my old bumper. We cut holes and recess mounted 2-50 watt CAT work lights behind the surface of the bumper. I covered them with nascar brake duct grills and stainless mesh screens. Wired them into the reverse leg off the trailer harness and to a rocker switch on the dash so I can cut them on or off, in or out of reverse. Rewired the completely hacked trailer connection and Chris cut a new hole for it in the step well. Used Duplicolor truck bed liner in the spray can to coat the bumper. Stuff works great! Thanks for the tip, Chris! I had tried another brand that was worthless, Duplicolor is some good stuff. The back ups are like having head lights behind you! With a 20 foot long truck the factory lights just werent cutting it.

1image.jpg
0616122145.jpg
0616122105.jpg
0616122105a.jpg

Looks great, I can see a ticket coming already!

Hope not... As long as that isnt 'Five Oh' riding behind me with his high beams on! :D

No sur officur, deese here is fur totaly leagle 'wurk lite' porpoises only. I musta' hit dat switch by axydent! Are you awright? Can you see to drive?!!

Trying to decide if I like the brite aluminum and stainless on there. Thinking about blacking it out. What do ya'll think?

I got tired of not having any light in reverse also I used some 6in oval led's and cut my bumper and mounted em with the rubber grommet. They are also wired into my reverse lights and a switch so I can turn them on whenever I want. I've had them almost 2yrs now and they are a huge improvement over stock.
ai878.photobucket.com_albums_ab350_StuntmanAutoworks_Custom_206bc5a56f208cf20941fece8ff2d17564.jpg

Stuntman, what did you use to cut the holes without flaking off the chrome?
After getting all my measurements and laying it out on the bumper I used a hole saw for the 2 ends of the oval then used a cut off wheel to connect the two holes and make an oval then sparayed a lil clear coat on the cut edge to help prevent rust.

Yup, after sleeping on it and looking at it this mornin.g, I think they need to be blacked out.
I think it would look really nice if you painted the stainless and aluminum black but then leave the rivets plain aluminum to break up all the black. Just a thought I had during lunch.

Had the same thought. Got some gold anodized too, but I think that would be a little gayish looking.

Much more better. Stuck some back up washers behind the head of the rivets to keep them from dimpling the thin aluminum down into the mesh. :huggy:

Backed up to my trailer in the dark tonight and the lights are awesome. I could see a rabbit running accross the driveway 30 feet behind me. (BTW it was a male rabbit with a small scar under his left eye).:D

88image.jpg
55image.jpg

Before Chris did his thing that he does so well... The truck has no rust at all, all we could figure is the bumper came off a yankee truck.

2image.jpg

Bayboro, NC is near the coast so that's where I figured the any rust came from.
That and the owner before me was a custom cabinet maker that traveled up North occasionally for jobs.

Bayboro, NC is near the coast so that's where I figured the any rust came from.
That and the owner before me was a custom cabinet maker that traveled up North occasionally for jobs.

That makes sense, but only one side of the bumper was really bad. I figure it was from the slush pile in the middle of the road? Dont matter, the rest of the truck is rust free and it runs great!

Back