Recently chopped XJ

rollingstone

I just joined the forum today. I've been on cherokeeforum for about a year now. I've taken my jeep to Oke Island, but that was before the chop and haven't taken it off road since. I'm waiting to finish my cage for the bed and do some other little things here and there before I beat it up. Anyway, here are a couple pics of my current project..

Attachments

• new1.jpg
    new1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 3,690
  • new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 1,508
Originally, my plan was to chop it and have a removable soft top, but I was waiting forever for a guy to get tubing to make me a 4 point cage to add rigidity to the back before I continued with the soft top. So I was going to temporarily enclose it with the fiberglass liftgate that was on the jeep to start with, but I really liked the way it looked. I fiberglassed the stock liftgate to the d-pillar that was cut off and welded into the c-pillar, and I welded the bottom half of a steel liftgate (from a 99) to my rear quarters to have a tailgate of sorts. It's not a functional tailgate now, but it will be when my cage is put in, which will be within the next few weeks. The last picture is of a rendering of the jeep with the cage in it. There's not much movement in the body, but I want it to be stronger than it was stock, so the cage will help with that and it'll give me a place to mount my spare tire.

Attachments

• starting1.jpg
    starting1.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 6,579
  • chipped.jpg
    chipped.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 3,224
  • gettinit.jpg
    gettinit.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 2,227
  • ca3.jpg
    ca3.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 3,918
  • jeepwcage.jpg
    jeepwcage.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,656
Oh yeah, if there's anyone on here that wants some cheap, flat flares, I can make them. They look really good on xj's that have wheels with 4" backspacing.

its so clean!....one of the best chop tops ive seen done....i love it....if i knew 100% mine would turn out this way....i would definetely not even hesitate to do it! GREAT JOB!

Back