Recommend Brake Controller

ckruzer

Infidel
I have it mentioned in another thread, but i reckon something dedicated to it might help it get addressed and preserved for searches etc

Factory brake controller for my truck runs about $200+ but im seeing aftermarket controllers cost around $60+. Cant believe factory could really be better than aftermarket?

Can anyone recommend a controller they have used and works well? I have also seen mention by a few digital warriors they have a manual option on their controller. And in the event of sway etc from large trucks passing or whatever they will use that to lightly apply brakes only to the trailer. (other option is to speed up the truck?).

Anywho. Thanks yall!

Prodigy P2.

It's probably not as good as the in-built factory ones that are integrated with the roll stability, traction control, and ABS, but it's pretty good for our old trucks.

Anything tekonsha should be fine. I got a Primis IQ because its easy to remove when not in use (for the jeep).

Every controller I've ever used/seen has a way to activate it manually.

Anything tekonsha should be fine. I got a Primis IQ because its easy to remove when not in use (for the jeep).

Every controller I've ever used/seen has a way to activate it manually.

This. Every one of our suburbans have a primus iq, makes it easy to know how settings will respond no matter which rig/ trailer we are using. Plus if one goes out, we can trouble shoot by swapping with another one from a different suburban.

Has settings then boost settings to change the ramp rate, and full manual override button. I set my voltage, then use no boost for empty, b1 for stop and go with load, b3 on highway for panic stop and in the mtns.

Anything tekonsha.

probably not as good as the in-built factory ones that are integrated with the roll stability, traction control, and ABS, but it's pretty good for our old trucks.

Thats an excellent point. The stocker is only 70 bones more than the full p2 kit (harness etc). Thats a good thing to take into consideration.

Thats an excellent point. The stocker is only 70 bones more than the full p2 kit (harness etc). Thats a good thing to take into consideration.
What truck do you have? And is the one you're referring to truly the same as what would have come from the factory or is it a dealer installed aftermarket unit?

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I have a 2015 sierra with the factory controller. When I was shopping, it was one of my "must haves" and multiple dealers questioned me saying they could install a controller in any truck. But what they offered was not the same factory integrated system.

What truck do you have? And is the one you're referring to truly the same as what would have come from the factory or is it a dealer installed aftermarket unit?

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I have a 2015 sierra with the factory controller. When I was shopping, it was one of my "must haves" and multiple dealers questioned me saying they could install a controller in any truck. But what they offered was not the same factory integrated system.

2010 ram. its the actual factory unit by mopar

Anything tekonsha should be fine.

I have to partially disagree with this. Not that it was specifically mentioned in this thread, but the Tekonsha Voyager is garbage.

Personally, I run a draw tite controller. I can't remember which model, one of the digital proportional ones. All the normal goodies, voltage with 3 boost settings and the manual slider.

I had a prodigy p3 in my 7.3 truck and stock built in controller in my 6.4. The stock controller is slower to
Apply brakes and even turned up all the way only feels like it’s braking half as much as the p3 at half power. If I get a bigger trailer I’m going to put a p3 in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If yours is a later 10’ model your brake modular will plug and play, you can buy it yourself and it will plug in. The wiring harness is there. It would need to be re-flashed at the dealer for the read out on the dash to work.

I prefer factory simply for a clean look but that is a lot of money.

I didn't like the factory controller that came in my 2012 ram 3500 compared to the p3 in my 07 2500. Much like @Loganwayne it seemed slow. It also had tendency to stick on for a few seconds when taking off from a stop and I would drag the tires with the brakes locked.

I towed the same trailer ,sometimes in the same day, with both trucks and it only drug the brakes at take off with the factory controller.

If yours is a later 10’ model your brake modular will plug and play, you can buy it yourself and it will plug in. The wiring harness is there. It would need to be re-flashed at the dealer for the read out on the dash to work.

I prefer factory simply for a clean look but that is a lot of money.

I don’t care if it reads on the evic. Without flash it still works right? I verified I have both harness ends for the stock.

I have to partially disagree with this. Not that it was specifically mentioned in this thread, but the Tekonsha Voyager is garbage.

Never had any issues with my Voyager. My dad still runs one in his 1500. Only complaint is they don't come unplugged like the prodigy's or the primus. I currently run a P3 though and do like it better than the Voyager.

Duane

Two of my trucks have the Hopkins proportional controllers from Advance. They've been working great for years. I got them because they were available. I want to say they were like 85 bucks.

Back