Recovery death -- drop hitch failure

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Haven't seen this in another thread, sorry if it already made it here.

Lessons to be learned.....

I have used them in the past but not on a truck that big. Had a friend almost lose his life using a chain that failed and came through the hood and windshield

Is it just me or is there no link to see what this thread is about?

Based solely on the title though I lost a friend in HS who was pulling someone out with a chain from his rear tow points to the ball on the other truck. The ball sheared off and came through his back glass and crushed his skull at the base of his neck. He was dead before the engine RPM came to idle. It was a VERY sobering experience for us young fuckers.

If any one takes anything away from this, remove the hitch and put the tow strap through the hitch pin. That is all you need and it would have saved that dudes life.

With kinetic ropes being the next big thing this just going to get worse. Definitely silly hooking to 12" drop hitch for lots of reasons
One of my take always..the article references static straps as part of the problem…a kinetic strap would have likely compounded the force….which I guess “could “ have changed the trajectory and thereby the outcome - but as a rule wouldn’t be safer

Is it just me or is there no link to see what this thread is about?

It's just you. More facebook asshattery....just click on the blue F in the top right of the facebook part.

I guess it's been long enough that nobody remembers the x-ray of the 8yo with a hitch ball in the middle of his skull....

I guess it's been long enough that nobody remembers the x-ray of the 8yo with a hitch ball in the middle of his skull....
I was just about to post about that. I remember quite vividly. Aside from the tragedy, there was a whole to-do about the guy's privacy being violated by some technician posting cell phone pics of the slides online, including a lawsuit that requested info from this site.. Good intentions but thw wrong way to go about it.

I used to have a video somewhere of the entire bumper ripping off an OBS Ford, flying 50ft through the air and spearing into the mud next to the truck they were trying to recover. I can't find it now.

Back