Red iron or carport style shop?

If you don't mind sharing, how did you make this work?

3 components...bilge blower, solar panel, and a voltage regulator (prevents over- or under-voltage from panel burning up the fan). Also an inline fuse. Cut a 4" hole in the back end up high for the fan, and a couple of 4" holes in one of the doors down low for intake.

Solar Panel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0159PHIXW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details

Fan: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CGR1YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regulator: https://www.amazon.com/Converter-12...70dd3c&pd_rd_wg=0Gf7o&pd_rd_i=B07WY4P7W8&th=1

The one I got the link was dead....it was a 5 amp. Sure just about any of them should work for the fan.

Last edited:
I really debated the post frame building, but don't want to sink posts in the ground. I know they may last as long as I do, but then again they may not.
they make brackets that you can set during pouring to hold the post or brackets you can drill and epoxy in. both would keep your posts from being set in concrete. just incase thats all thats keeping you from a wood post building

I can't afford turn key so either way I have to put it up myself, but I feel like (based on 30x40 size) I would rather spend $14,500 (delivered) for the red iron building with 4" insulation than I would spend ~$10k for the pole barn, plus another $500 for permacolumns, plus have to buy insulation for it as well. The pole barns do LOOK nicer, but I don't really care if it looks industrial as it won't be visible from the house. With either option they don't include the garage doors so that is another $1500-2000 per door, but I would rather have a panel door than a roll up door.

For the record, the r&r building I quoted at 10,500 includes a 12ft roll up door and every building they sell comes with the roll foam/ foil backed insulation in the price. It's not r19 but it does keep the roof from sweating on you and the wind out.

They also sell wet set or bolt in steel post collars as well as pvc post protectors that completely cover whatever part of the post that's in the ground.

I personally have a red iron insulated shop but next time I build one it will be post frame.

:Edit: for the record I am biased.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing a hybrid post frame myself. Pour footings first like a commercial building, top of footing 4" below finished grade. Use 4 or 6" square tubing w/ 1/2" baseplate bolted to footings in place of the 6x6 wood posts. Uses the metal trusses and weld them to the metal posts. Then pour the wear slab over the baseplates. That would give me covered storage right now and I could frame up and finish the walls at my leisure.

I'm wary of putting any sort of wood in the ground where I live. I am right beside the woods and have mad termites anytime I leave wood on the ground near the woods. And I have a healthy population of carpenter ants.

For the record, the r&r building I quoted at 10,500 includes a 12ft roll up door and every building they sell comes with the roll foam/ foil backed insulation in the price. It's not r19 but it does keep the roof from sweating on you and the wind out.

They also sell wet set or bolt in steel post collars as well as pvc post protectors that completely cover whatever part of the post that's in the ground.

I personally have a red iron insulated shop but next time I build one it will be post frame.

:Edit: for the record I am biased.
I came really close a few months ago to pulling the trigger here. The challenge I had was getting a crew to install it. R&R sent me 2 one said they wouldnt come to my place and the other wanted more than the cost of the material to erect it NOT COUNTING concrete or grading. So, Im still sitting on hold for that reason.

Local guy who did @Silverado_Express may be my solution but there are things about his building m not crazy about either.

I came really close a few months ago to pulling the trigger here. The challenge I had was getting a crew to install it. R&R sent me 2 one said they wouldnt come to my place and the other wanted more than the cost of the material to erect it NOT COUNTING concrete or grading. So, Im still sitting on hold for that reason.

That's why everyone calls you "all talk Ron"

I just finished my R&R building. 40x40 with 2 16ft leantos. Justin was easy to deal with and delivered it within a few days of ordering. I chose the post frame over the red iron because I liked the residential look of the building. I have an old farm house and the post frame look matches better.
64aeb3d309cea1b785e8c603288cdb28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Went and saw a friend yesterday and was talking with him about his shop. 40' x 40' 12' eaves. Said he used Capitol. capitolbuildings Cost was about $15K. He's a machinist at a local machine shop. He basically said he was very happy with it all and was a lot cheaper than the place I was thinking of using. Anyone have any experience with them?

Went and saw a friend yesterday and was talking with him about his shop. 40' x 40' 12' eaves. Said he used Capitol. capitolbuildings Cost was about $15K. He's a machinist at a local machine shop. He basically said he was very happy with it all and was a lot cheaper than the place I was thinking of using. Anyone have any experience with them?
That welded double-truss thing is interesting. Looks like exactly what I need to deal with my height issue to squeeze in a loft. Will have to see if there's a distributor more local.

Been talking with the red iron distributor more. They sell/install for Sunward Steel. 36x48x12 with two 12x12 framed openings, 4" insulation, and delivery he quoted 16-17k. Direct from Sunward they quoted $18,600 which was ~$10psf not including concrete. I decided it would best to go ahead and build a bigger shop, and have two doors instead of one. Once the final price is in I will update, but I can't complain with less than $10psf. Garage doors locally are $1800/each installed, and I figure concrete will be $7-9k. More than I WANT to spend but I figure with one this size I might can get by NOT having to build another one in the future. I don't think I would want to part-out trucks inside anyways, makes too much of a mess.

Looks like exactly what I need to deal with my height issue to squeeze in a loft. Will have to see if there's a distributor more local.
Have you called Charlie yet?

Several people around me have gotten buildings from them and not a single one opted to have their building built to code. That means a flat slab of concrete with no footer and single tube trusses. They're all 5' on center, no insulation, those crappy corrugated roll up doors, and you can see plenty of light through the eaves. Did he opt for more than just the base? If not, then it'll add QUITE a bit more for those options. I got a quote from them on a 40x60x14 last year. I'll have to see if I can find it when I get home from work. It started at like...18k maybe and by the time I was done it was mid 30s, if not low 40s. I was like...nah...for that much, I'll get a pole barn style or red iron and have a much more solid building. Granted, that includes site prep (to an extent) , concrete, and a crew of Messicans to come put it all together. I'd just have to wire it up, hang some lights, and move my crap in. Oh, and get better doors.

EDIT: Base quote was 22k, options made it 45k. I was sorta close.

Last edited:
Several people around me have gotten buildings from them and not a single one opted to have their building built to code. That means a flat slab of concrete with no footer and single tube trusses. They're all 5' on center, no insulation, those crappy corrugated roll up doors, and you can see plenty of light through the eaves. Did he opt for more than just the base? If not, then it'll add QUITE a bit more for those options. I got a quote from them on a 40x60x14 last year. I'll have to see if I can find it when I get home from work. It started at like...18k maybe and by the time I was done it was mid 30s, if not low 40s. I was like...nah...for that much, I'll get a pole barn style or red iron and have a much more solid building. Granted, that includes site prep (to an extent) , concrete, and a crew of Messicans to come put it all together. I'd just have to wire it up, hang some lights, and move my crap in. Oh, and get better doors.

EDIT: Base quote was 22k, options made it 45k. I was sorta close.
He did do his site work and had someone local he knew do the concrete. That would put my 40 x 60 close to what Pee Dee spit balled at me. Here is one of the three different styles of buildings they sell.

67733304_1821648704646999_2739695183544188928_o.jpg

67742126_1821648634647006_3727095142553747456_o.jpg

67838361_1821643977980805_7849426945350565888_o.jpg

That is a 40 x 40 x 12 IIRC. He said they have the main poles in the concrete floor. I assume like a pole barn. He also said they do red iron too but these were the ones they sold the most of. These look a lot better to me than the Capitol ones. I have a relative, aunts brother, that sells and sets up red iron buildings I plan on calling him to get a ball park idea of what he could do.

Been talking with the red iron distributor more. They sell/install for Sunward Steel. 36x48x12 with two 12x12 framed openings, 4" insulation, and delivery he quoted 16-17k. Direct from Sunward they quoted $18,600 which was ~$10psf not including concrete. I decided it would best to go ahead and build a bigger shop, and have two doors instead of one. Once the final price is in I will update, but I can't complain with less than $10psf. Garage doors locally are $1800/each installed, and I figure concrete will be $7-9k. More than I WANT to spend but I figure with one this size I might can get by NOT having to build another one in the future. I don't think I would want to part-out trucks inside anyways, makes too much of a mess.
What's their install nmber for that 17k?

My Dad had a 30x45 carport style put up last year, it was $11,500 including concrete. Think the sidewalls are 10'. 2 coil roll up doors, 1 walk door, 2 windows and the cheap bubble wrap style insulation on the ceiling to keep the condensation from raining inside.

No way I would go any bigger than that in a carport style. Just wouldn't trust it to hold up to snow load and we don't really get snow here. Dad's has the roof sheeting running vertically to help snow slide off but we've already talked about having to try to keep it swept off if we ever do get a serious snow. Already saw another local guy that had his collapse from snow a few years ago, although his roof sheeting was run horizontally.

I've got a 30x50x12 car port style and it's been up for over two years now. It was less than $15k for the building and install(plus concrete). Some of the fit and finish leave a lot to be desired but for the price I didn't expect perfection.

My Dad had a 30x45 carport style put up last year, it was $11,500 including concrete.
Nowadays in the Charlotte market, the concrete alone would cost that much. :shaking:

Last I heard, it was 140ish a yard, delivered, in my area. Almachizzit up yonder?

$150/yd for material, but north of $5/sqft finished.

Have you called Charlie yet?
I called the place you suggested, Resterstown Lumber. They pushed me over to John, who leads their truss dept. No Charlie.
The long and short of it is they do custom trusses and work with designers/contractor, will do a take-off on somebody else's plans or whatever. "Make an apt and come in and talk to Susan, we'll help you come up with a solution to work into the project." But they just provide supplies.
Which is great and all, if I was going to serve as the GC and do the coordinating and building myself.... but that's really not what I wanted to do. I really wanted to just contract a guy and have them do it. If I can't find said guy (at an afordable rate) I may just have to.

Maybe I should update the other thread

I called the place you suggested, Resterstown Lumber. They pushed me over to John, who leads their truss dept. No Charlie.
The long and short of it is they do custom trusses and work with designers/contractor, will do a take-off on somebody else's plans or whatever. "Make an apt and come in and talk to Susan, we'll help you come up with a solution to work into the project." But they just provide supplies.
Which is great and all, if I was going to serve as the GC and do the coordinating and building myself.... but that's really not what I wanted to do. I really wanted to just contract a guy and have them do it. If I can't find said guy (at an afordable rate) I may just have to.

Maybe I should update the other thread
So you haven't talked to Charlie yet. Theres your problem :p

Back