Redneck Engineering

Tetanus

Ridgerunner was trying to remove the clutch fan off of his Dodge 3500, and it became much more of a problem than we thought. The threads on the shaft were bugared up pretty good (a good possibly that it happened from the accident before he bought it). He rented the "tools" from AutoZone that are supposed to work, but they just bent. We had to come up with a way to hold the pulley from turning and put a buttload of torque to the flex fan nut. This is what we eventually came up with. It involved cutting off the fan between the nut and the fan, then drilling a couple holes in a piece of angle iron that we could then bolt to the pulley. We then secured the angle to another pulley and used a cheater on a wrench. It finally broke loose about 3 hours after starting the project! Why do "simple" projects turn into a big ordeal?

Attachments

• 100_2197.JPG
    100_2197.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 329
  • 100_2198.JPG
    100_2198.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 257
You do realize the threads are/were left-hand on the fan, right? :flipoff2:

Rich said:
You do realize the threads are/were left-hand on the fan, right? :flipoff2:

Yes we were turnning the correct direction. but whent the fan hit the radiator it over tighten the nut and stripped the threads. so now I need to replace the that bracket and hub that the Fan attached to. I called the dodge dealer and they want $400 :kaioken:so I will have to find a used one or a better source.

Ridgerunner said:
I called the dodge dealer and they want $400 :kaioken:so I will have to find a used one or a better source.

Stay the hell away from my truck! :flipoff2:

I've got the anti-theft coating of oil and grim all over the engine parts anyway... LOL

Back