Refinance

Actually in the market for a heloc.
Anyone got any recommendations

Actually in the market for a heloc.
Anyone got any recommendations
401k loan. Heloc rates are stupid right now. Unless you will be done with it before some low rate intro period is up.

We got a fixed rate about 4 weeks ago thru our credit union. Just looked at their website again and the rate has already gone up by 3/4%.
Thank the Fed for that, they raised the prime rate that much last week

I wish I would have secured the HELOC several months ago, but it too so long to find a contractor, I waited until I had the contractor lined up before I secured the loan.

401k loan. Heloc rates are stupid right now. Unless you will be done with it before some low rate intro period is up.
Normally taking money from 401k would be a terrible idea, bc you'd get a higher return in the market , and you can't get back that investment time.
But the way the current and near future looks... geez you might as well just pull it out as a loan, put in a high yield savings account, then put right back in later.

I wish I would have secured the HELOC several months ago, but it too so long to find a contractor, I waited until I had the contractor lined up before I secured the loan.
Don't HELOC rates still vary with the Prime? or do they lock when you secure it? That wouldn't seem very good for the bank.

What are the current avg heloc rates yall are seeing?
29B3A15D-A2A4-410D-B8E2-53356A7A0BA5.png

Tying this to the other thread - I wish I'd gotten a HELOC too, but missed that boat.
Luckily when I re-fied at 2.5%, I kept my total payment the same as it was previously and am paying an extra 30% monthly to knock it down faster.
With savings/MM accounts now getting a higher yield, I think I might take that extra payment and put into a Savings account. It would actually accrue more $$ net interest and build up cash to use, and if I don't, I can just dump it back into the mortgage in a lump payment later anyway.
Not the same as the big bolus as one as with a HELOC but at least sets up a stream to have on hand.

Does the intereste rate of a heloc override the interest rate of your mortgage? Im at 3% and not interested in losing that...
I have the savings, but Id rather leverage if I can, providing the rate isn't constituting "legal plunder"

Does the intereste rate of a heloc override the interest rate of your mortgage? Im at 3% and not interested in losing that...
I have the savings, but Id rather leverage if I can, providing the rate isn't constituting "legal plunder"
No, its basically a 2nd, separate loan.

Back