Regear around Charlotte

omGoddard

Got a new R&P 4.88's and master install kit sitting here in Charlotte I need to install on the rear of my JK (I have a new bolt in axle coming for the front).

New in town, who around can do the work that'll do it right? Not interested in 4WP's.

i know you said char, but you can not beat the precise'ness that @Jody Treadway will do for your gears. he is worth the short drive to have it done. im sure if you plan right with him, you could make an awesome trip out of it. some awesome bnb's around here - and if you schedule in right maybe a half day trip? call him up. Carolina Axle & 4x4

it says alot when people from a tri-state area use someone exclusively!

Mars Fab is where I'd go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

i know you said char, but you can not beat the precise'ness that @Jody Treadway will do for your gears. he is worth the short drive to have it done. im sure if you plan right with him, you could make an awesome trip out of it. some awesome bnb's around here - and if you schedule in right maybe a half day trip? call him up. Carolina Axle & 4x4

it says alot when people from a tri-state area use someone exclusively!
Btw can't go wrong with this dude either....But he's a couple hours from Charlotte.

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll dig thru these suggestions when I get home this evening.

Funny side note: I work near 4 wheel parts... stopped by just to look and randomly asked them about installing my gears and new tires.

"we don't do that if you've purchased brand parts that we don't sell."

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll dig thru these suggestions when I get home this evening.

Funny side note: I work near 4 wheel parts... stopped by just to look and randomly asked them about installing my gears and new tires.

"we don't do that if you've purchased brand parts that we don't sell."
Its a retail business. They make money on parts sales not install. You cant take eggs to waffle house and expect them to make you an omlet. The people that have been suggested all have great reputations and will serve you well but it really comes off like you think you are too cool for 4wp.

Bear in mind that supplying your own parts can also effect labor cost. Not because a shop is trying to make back the markup they may have gotten if they’d sold you the Gears but because in some cases the quality of some Gears or install kits/bearings aren’t up to par with what would normally be supplied by the installer. If you were to order some Chinese crap Gears and bearings and we install them and they make noise or don’t hold up who are you going to come to for warranty? The company that made the cheap Parts or the guys that installed them? We’ve had to order all kinds of parts to remedy crap installation kits and then you’d have to pay for them on top of what you’d already bought. Not to mention the fact that I now have time in ordering the extras, more labor time in trying to make the original supplied crap work and now your vehicle has to sit on my lift tying it up for at minimum a full extra day while we wait for the parts to come in. If my lift is tied up that’s at least 60.00 bucks per hour it’s not making me money and pushing off scheduled customers.
If you want it done right and want guys to stand behind their work you can’t expect to supply parts. A warranty comes with the whole package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^
Yep what Chris said. One of the reasons I got out of doing gear installs. The stuff people bring to install is questionable because you don't know the true source of the parts. Too much crap on the market now because these manufactures are cutting corners to save a buck.

Its a retail business. They make money on parts sales not install. You cant take eggs to waffle house and expect them to make you an omlet. The people that have been suggested all have great reputations and will serve you well but it really comes off like you think you are too cool for 4wp.

No, no, not at all trying to come off like that at all. I was just surprised they didn't want the work as they had no problem installing tires as long as they are a brand they sell. No biggie, I'll get it taken care of.

If you want it done right and want guys to stand behind their work you can’t expect to supply parts. A warranty comes with the whole package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to reach out to you and if it makes more sense to you to do a package deal with parts you sell/install I have no problem with doing that and putting my parts on the shelf. Totally understandable with the warranty process.

Thanks!

Adding a plug for @zubz here. He was great. Did a Dana 60 regear with an e-locker and a Sterling 105. for my 4x4 van build. Top notch materials and a heck off a nice guy.

Bumping this up since it's an old thread and I dont know if @zubz is even still around these parts. I'm wanting a used set of factory D30 4.10s (already have) put in the axle already in the jeep.

Bumping this up since it's an old thread and I dont know if @zubz is even still around these parts. I'm wanting a used set of factory D30 4.10s (already have) put in the axle already in the jeep.
I don't stop in here as much as I used to but I am still around and I still do a ton of gear and axle work. Give me a shout. 704-297-8461

@zubz I have a buddy that just bought a 4.0 TJ on 33s, says he has to downshift a lot. I told him it sounds like the previous owner spent all his money on LEDs and an angry-eye grill instead of gears. So I just sent him your number. Where’s your shop nowadays?

@zubz I have a buddy that just bought a 4.0 TJ on 33s, says he has to downshift a lot. I told him it sounds like the previous owner spent all his money on LEDs and an angry-eye grill instead of gears. So I just sent him your number. Where’s your shop nowadays?
I work full time building custom cars and Land cruisers for Retro Designs and TLC 4x4 ( we bought TLC from ICON and have opened up our new 28k sq ft facility in Harrisburg) . I do a lot of gear and axle work on the side either at home or out of a shop near home. I pick and choose the jobs and people I want to work with, and don't have to take anything if the customer wants something I don't feel comfortable with. I will be happy to talk to him when he is ready.

Back