removing 98 zj doors??? help.

bmason04

so im curious to how you go about removing the doors on a 98 zj. just to help out in this hot weather etc. haha. i dont want to leave them off. just removeable and able to stick them back on when needed. thanks guys

My 96 ZJ only has 4 bolts and 1 electrical quick disconnect. Look at the hinges and if yours is like my 96 model it will be obvious. Don't forget to pull the fuse for the interior lights.

got the jeep today. gonna check it out tomorrow in the light.

here is my door. which ones do i remove? the #1 label? cuz i see the quick discon. as well.
i think its label 1 cuz the 2 is the actual door pins....

ai587.photobucket.com_albums_ss319_fastsmurf04_Mobile_20Uploads_downsized_0801001600_1.jpg

Remove both top and bottom bolts (#1) and then disconnect the wiring harness when they are all off to have enough room to work in there. Done best with 2 people.

so i take out 4 bolts and the door is off? and i have no issues w it lining back up?

If your not a decent size fella ya might wanna get some help lining back up when reinstalling!!! also roll the window down when taking off itll make it alot easier to manage!

I think you are better removing the pin and installing a quick pin, but thats just me....

I know I can hang a door on my shoulder and slide the top pin in and then work the bottom pin in once its hanging but I wouldnt want to try lining screws up while I held it in place.

go to coloradok5.com they have a decent write up done a few years ago same premise.

yea im not big so i'd get help. haha.

I use a concrete block and a jackstand when I take the door off or install it by myself.
I only remove the bolts and unplug.

Back