Removing TJ axle brackets

Tradarcher

I've got a 3.73 geared TJ D30 with no shafts or knuckles. I might try to sell it whole but if it ends up not being worth it I thought I might try to cut the brackets off. Has anyone done this before? I don't think I can get a grinder in there so it would probably take a torch. If a torch is used will they come off in good enough shape to reuse? Also, how much trouble is it to make them work on an axle with a larger diameter tube?

The stock brackets aren't worth reusing at all. Either use the RE kit, or fab up your own, but it honestly isn't worth your time to salvage the flimsly stock ones.

Yeah Kevin I agree with Farmboy. I havethe same thing sitting in my shop. I thought about using the brackets on my Waggy axle swap in th XJ but they are not very strong. I am Just going to use the bare housin gto make a Jig for the other axles so I get everthing in the right place.

The aftermarket brackets are alot better, but the old ones can be cut off and reused. What I did is just use the torch to cut around the brackets right through the tube, it's junk anyway. Then once you have them off you can grind the tube section off without losing any of the bracket.

Kevin Watts

Back