REP 8000 disassembly/troubleshoot

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I have an old Ramsey REP8000 that has been sitting awhile, I transferred it to a different truck,n ow it does want to respond.
This is the old simple style w/ only 2 posts, solenoid/direction control in seperate box.

All I know is that it dosn't respond at all - even applying battery lines right to the 2 posts on the motor, no response.
Anything important to know before disassembling it?

First, you only apply positive voltage to the terminals. It's grounded through the chassis. One lug is forward, the other reverse. Don't know if you knew that. Simple motor. Pull the end bell and make sure the brushes aren't rusted and stuck so they can't make contact with the commutator.

Really? I thought w/ these oddball 2-terminal styles the direction was set by changing the polarity between the two leads. Having a hard time finding the right wiring diagram, most of them are for 3/4 leads to the winch.

Can I get into the motor housing by just taking out the two long screws on the side of the housing? I have this vague recollection that getting it all lined up to go back together is a challenge.

Ah, found this
winch001.jpg

yes it looks like there is no continuous ground

My bad. Been a long time since I had one apart, and it was a Patriot, series wound. I'm not sure how to pull that motor apart, but it's probably two screws in the end bell, near the edge. If the brush plate stays in the motor, it shouldn't be too bad.

Time to upgrade....
is that b/c you know something I don't about repairing this?

and yes, I'd like to - but not before Sat morning when I hope to be out on the trail :D

is that b/c you know something I don't about repairing this?

and yes, I'd like to - but not before Sat morning when I hope to be out on the trail :D
the couple I have messed with, when they started messing up, they keep messing up. Last one I played with the contractors inside the switch where bad. It's a huge ford door lock setup, rev polarity.......

Well pulled the casing off... aparently not only are the bottoms of the posts broken loose but the wire conections from there to the burshes is corroded to the point of having broken off - not going to be easy to fix.
Guess its upgrade time

Back