Repack bearings?

Jeffncs

I just installed new bearings, races and inner seals in my tandem. I’m hearing a low whistle that’s in tune with the wheels turning...

I packed the bearings thoroughly using one of those manual bearing packing tools before I installed them. I’m wondering if I I put too much preload on the bearings or if I need to pack them with more grease...

Any suggestions??

Brakes dragging? Could also be too much preload. Typically tapered roller bearing have clearance, not preload.

I thought brakes too, but it doesn’t go away when I apply the brakes. I’m thinking bearings - just hate to get grease all over the place again! Sadly, I may pop them apart to check grease and then reset the pressure.

I thought brakes too, but it doesn’t go away when I apply the brakes. I’m thinking bearings - just hate to get grease all over the place again! Sadly, I may pop them apart to check grease and then reset the pressure.
You should be able to just pop off the bearing caps, pull the cotter pin, and adjust the nut as needed.

Sure the noise is not in your truck?

Could be a tire making that noise in the trailer or truck. If the bearings aren't getting hot, it's not likely the bearings making noise.

Sure the noise is not in your truck?

Could be a tire making that noise in the trailer or truck. If the bearings aren't getting hot, it's not likely the bearings making noise.

Good thought, but it’s not the truck as the noise isn’t there when just driving it around.... only present with trailer attached.

Found the issue... pulled the caps and found this under the 4th cap. Something not wearing correctly - I’ll order bearings, races and seals for the location. I’ll pull it apart this weekend to inspect, replace etc. glad I looked!! For reference, that was newly rebuilt and packed with red grease.

EABEAC20-7D59-4404-B044-3542C8A9FDC3.jpeg9BE23B8E-F389-4554-8127-DD2A7AB4B6A8.jpeg

Found the issue... pulled the caps and found this under the 4th cap. Something not wearing correctly - I’ll order bearings, races and seals for the location. I’ll pull it apart this weekend to inspect, replace etc. glad I looked!! For reference, that was newly rebuilt and packed with red grease.

View attachment 339962View attachment 339963
Glad you found it and diagnosed it before it locked up on the side of the road.

I don't buy that there was grease in there. Looks to me like the bearing was dry and ate itself.
Cotter pin scraped metal off the outside cover. That's the dust you are seeing.

I don't buy that there was grease in there. Looks to me like the bearing was dry and ate itself.

The issue was the cotter pin wearing on the dust cap. I didn’t smash it flat enough, so it dug a ring Into the cap interior. That’s the dust.

I pulled it all apart, cleaned the inner and outer bearings and the hub with brake cleaner. Bearings and races looked new (as they should). The outer bearing (closest to the pin dust) was actually very clean looking. I still flushed out all the ”old” grease and repacked it fresh. No issues since.

Back