Replacement gas can spouts

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Thanks, my diesel can had a good spout on it but it broke off the other day and I was going to try and find that thread.

They sell pretty much the same kit on Amazon, too. I've bought three or four of the kits. I've also bought a few Eagle and Wavian (jerry) cans lately, because the CARB-compliant valves cause the plastic tanks to split at the seams. :rolleyes:

I bought those same nozzles and they lasted about 5 years before they started to leak where they screw on to the tank. They leaked with both gas or diesel. I bought more to replace those and then the seams split on the plastic tanks :shaking: they were only about 12 years old.

I only use metal tanks now.

They sell pretty much the same kit on Amazon, too. I've bought three or four of the kits. I've also bought a few Eagle and Wavian (jerry) cans lately, because the CARB-compliant valves cause the plastic tanks to split at the seams. :rolleyes:
I was just looking at those last night. I noticed although the reviews on average are pretty good, there were a lot of complaints about the rubber gaskets eventually dissolving b/c they were eaten by the gas. Have to had any problem with this?
I bought those same nozzles and they lasted about 5 years before they started to leak where they screw on to the tank. They leaked with both gas or diesel.
Is that what happened to yours?

I've switched to metal cans like this one that don't have the stupid spouts:

048441221813.jpg

I've switched to metal cans like this one that don't have the stupid spouts:

048441221813.jpg
I have that exact can, and I like it but...
1. It holds exactly 5 gallons if you fill it all the way up, unlike the plastic cans that hold about 5.7 gallons.
2. It needs a vent. It is SLOW to pour.
3. That funnel is stupid. It is too hard to get on and off of the can, and you can't fill the can with it on.
4. That funnel is stupid. Since most filler holes on the things I fill are on the side of the body on an angle, you can't tilt the can far enough to get it to pour more than half, and if you flip it over, it dumps out the top of the funnel, and if you take the funnel loose the dump pattern of the can gets splashy because there is no vent and you make a mess.
5. If the can goes from cold to hot, it will spew gas everywhere until pressure is stabilized.

However, the spring loaded handle valve is great and they are stable enough to ride around in the back of your truck without tipping over.

Last edited:
I was just looking at those last night. I noticed although the reviews on average are pretty good, there were a lot of complaints about the rubber gaskets eventually dissolving b/c they were eaten by the gas. Have to had any problem with this?

Is that what happened to yours?

I don't think so because the 2nd round of new spouts still leaked. I just put up with it until the tanks seams split. Maybe the tank threads were damaged from over tightening it?
I bought the metal cans for $50 because after a new plastic can plus the aftermarket nozzle you're already at that price anyways.

X2 on what Matt said though. Pain in the ass to fill up a car/truck with that funnel but it works fine for mowers, side by sides, lawn equipment, etc.

I was complaining about the stupid new gas cans a couple months ago. One of our fork truck drivers walked in and overheard our conversation.

He told us one of the new fangled cans saved his life last year. He had a bonfire, burning a bunch of green tree branches, and the fire was going out so he took a gas can and tossed fuel directly out of the can and onto the fire. The fuel caught and burned up to the can and he chucked it away from him before it exploded.

Said if it hadn't been for the cut off, he'd have died. o_O

So if you're looking for a reason all the gas cans suck now, it's because of morons like him.

I still have about a half dozen of those rectangular olive drab cans we (maybe it was FSB) did a group buy on like 8 years ago

I was complaining about the stupid new gas cans a couple months ago. One of our fork truck drivers walked in and overheard our conversation.

He told us one of the new fangled cans saved his life last year. He had a bonfire, burning a bunch of green tree branches, and the fire was going out so he took a gas can and tossed fuel directly out of the can and onto the fire. The fuel caught and burned up to the can and he chucked it away from him before it exploded.

Said if it hadn't been for the cut off, he'd have died. o_O

So if you're looking for a reason all the gas cans suck now, it's because of morons like him.

He almost had a nomination for a Darwin award. That woulda been cool. Did he burn his nuts off? cuz you could nominate for a runner up if so. just sayin...

Last edited:
I have that exact can, and I like it but...
1. It holds exactly 5 gallons if you fill it all the way up, unlike the plastic cans that hold about 5.7 gallons.
2. It needs a vent. It is SLOW to pour.
3. That funnel is stupid. It is too hard to get on and off of the can, and you can't fill the can with it on.
4. That funnel is stupid. Since most filler holes on the things I fill are on the side of the body on an angle, you can't tilt the can far enough to get it to pour more than half, and if you flip it over, it dumps out the top of the funnel, and if you take the funnel loose the dump pattern of the can gets splashy because there is no vent and you make a mess.

However, the spring loaded handle valve is great and they are stable enough to ride around in the back of your truck without tipping over.

Needs a #5, if the can goes from hot to cold it will fucking spew gas everywhere until pressure is stabilized. I have the exact same one after an ungrateful asshole keep mine when I let them borrow it. Previously it was a cheap Walmart can with the cheap amazon spout and vent, worked well while I had it.

The "new" safety cans are horrible, I spill more fuel, it is almost impossible to put fuel in a modern vehicle! Just spent the money on a VP Race jug, "offroad and race use only", it has a vent. I haven't tried it out yet, so I have no feedback on that end, will let you know I soon as I do.

Needs a #5, if the can goes from hot to cold it will fucking spew gas everywhere until pressure is stabilized. I have the exact same one after an ungrateful asshole keep mine when I let them borrow it. Previously it was a cheap Walmart can with the cheap amazon spout and vent, worked well while I had it.
Done. With a few edits.

I got a couple replacement necks at Tractor Supply last year. Sucks to try to fill a weedeater or chainsaw with the new crap.

I gut the new spouts, just takes a cotter pin and they are just like the original ones, and the cap still fits the spout. 99% filing a car, I grab a blitz 1qt funnel and pour directly out of the jug for reasons listed above.

Back