Replacing Ball Joints

NC_Mog

Eurotrash Driver
Looks like I have to replace the ball joints on the Dodge. Only have 58k on it. Anyone have any luck with tool rental at places like Autozone? I haven't even checked to see if they have a ball joint press or not. Found one online for a measily $280. :eek:

I need to check to see if they are covered. I thought I had read that they were not as they were considered a wear item, like brakes.

NC_Mog said:
I need to check to see if they are covered. I thought I had read that they were not as they were considered a wear item, like brakes.
You think the big tires and rim had anything to do with it.
From all the failed parts most of the people live or drive on real bad roads all the time or have big tires. If everyone was having a problem they would do a recall. Maybe people are just fixing it and not saying anything about it to dodge.
I know on the 96 I had all sorts of problems with brakes, track bar,u joints, ball joints and death woble then went back to close to stock tires and offset rims and had no problem for 50-60k miles.
I kept this rig most stock, and so far it is doing real good.
Jon

It's possible. The H2 rims don't have a significantly different offset from stock. My feeling is the offset has more impact than the tire size (within reason). I've been reading where some folks with stock trucks have had issues, but some don't. Who knows. It's probably luck of the draw as to whether one's truck is trouble free or a problem child. The only other issue I have is the steering box leaks. Not much just keeps the box damp.

Autozone didn't have the ball joints or a clamp for rent. I may spring for my own clamp. I found on the web a set of 4 joints for $220, which I think is pretty good. They won't be greasable, but for that price I'll just plan on another 58k then replacement.

Also from what I understand, neither my steering box or joints would be covered under the 7/70 warranty. Neither are powertrain items.

Rob bought a ball joint tool recently, but I'm sure it's a standard size.

Soo..what are your symptoms? I'm too scared to check mine..

Symptoms...well I've got vertical movement of the wheel when one side is in the air (with a pry bar underneath). How much? It seems like its 1/16" or so. I must admit I didn't pay as much attention to the camber movement. I don't believe there is much if any. I'd think that you'd get more funky handling and tire wear issues as the amount of camber movement increases as the joints wear out. I wouldn't think vertical movement would really show up at all from the driver's perspective.

Sure it's not the unit hub? Check for play at the ball joint itself as you rock the tire. If it moves, you'll see it.

I did. I used the pry bar under the tire method and watch at the ball joints. Both have movement up/down on each side.

I just saw a ball joint press for $70 at a pawn shop. I wasn't sure what they cost new so I didn't pay any attention to it. It loked like it had barely been used or cleaned up really well.

Im re doing most of my front end and I figured Id check my ball joints....can you describe the pry bar under the tire method for me?

Back