RockBox vs. SlushBox

Which do you prefer, Auto's or Manual's?

• SlushBox

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • RockBox

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

BUCKETOBOLTS

So here we go again...I'm currently gathering the parts to build a doubler for my rig. I run a NP435 now. I have a C6 under the bench. It takes a different 203 for each to build the doubler. So which do you prefer Slushbox auto or RockBox granny. If you run the #'s the manual comes out to a 150:1 crawl. The auto gives 88:1 considering 2:1 torque multiplication in the converter. I'm leaning to the 4spd, because OA driveline length is 10-11" shorter than the auto combo. That works much better with my 92" WB. Though auto's always seem to find the right gear on a hill climb. Besides it is easier to jockey throttle and brakes over throttle, brake, and clutch.

Ive always been, and likely always will be a manual guy. Ive never had my manual shift gears when I didn't want it to or at an inopportune time. Maybe Im a control freak, but I like for my vehicle to do exactly what I tell it to. I once witnessed a guy in a full size bronco trying to do a hillclimb, and he would be making good progress, until the tranny shifted into second gear and the motor bogged down. Tried it over and over with the same result. If he could have stayed in first (I know there are better shifter options out there for autos), he certainly would have made the climb.

As far as street driving, Ive always found autos too happy to shift out of overdrive on hills as I roll on the gas to maintain speed. My dads Ford TRITON!!!! V8 is the worst. If you roll on the gas pretty deep, it will go from overdrive to second at 70-75mph, which puts the motor near redline, and since its not floored, it doesn't accelerate, it just hovers. Being electronically controlled, it takes forever to shift, you have to nearly lift completely off the gas, and then you lose speed. This is probably just a problem moreso with the specific transmission, and most vehicles with doublers and 92" wheelbases aren't really street vehicles, so that probably doesn't apply. Hope it helps anyway.

I have seen benifits of both. I have a manual, and always have. But I have friends with autos. Definate benifit when climbing with the auto. A lot easier to control 2 pedals rather than 3.
A manual on the other hand doesn't run low on fluid and loose connection when on a steep angle. usuall it's problems are a clutch, pressureplate, and release bearing. And good as new. Autos cost a little more to fix.
It's an age old debate. I guess it's all in what you are used to and what you like.

I like my manual for the down hill braking, ability to roll off if the starter dies, gearing, simplicity, absence of extra cooling lines and fluid, ect. I debated the same thing not too long ago, If ya have the wallet go for the auto, if you are a cheapo stick with the manual.

I voted for the AutoMagic, but I'm a bit biased! ;)

I've had both and now prefer the auto hands down.

Also, one other fubar waiting to happen is a leaky rear main oiling down a clutch... mine just keeps the torque conveter from rusting! :D

Auto is defenitley easier to drive on the trail. I had a manual 4 seed and 5 speed but now have an auto 3 speed and I love it. Who needs gears? You can go as slow as you want. LOL

i say 4 speed hands down... something about that rosonating gear whine from the straight cut gears in the 6.69:1 first gear that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :D

I perfer an auto on the trail because it is simply easier to work two pedals than three. That being said, I do prefer a manual on the street though. Its all personal preference.

Auto for me....I used to hate having a clutch and a carb on steep inclines!

i thought i was coming around to the auto thing, it is easier, but the challenge of a manual is a blast, i think i will stick with my clutch for good...

I'm getting used to my auto and really like it.. With proper gearing the auto will hold a hill like a stick. I can put my stock 700r4 in 1st gear and it will hold that np.

But in your situation i think you'd be better off with the shorter drivetrain and longer drive shaft.. Again with proper gearing a stick isn't hard to drive at all..

yager said:
But in your situation i think you'd be better off with the shorter drivetrain and longer drive shaft.. Again with proper gearing a stick isn't hard to drive at all..

that is the key right there, i agree completely. geared right, it is pretty nice, especially downhill.

my buddy says he gets nervous every time we go down schoolbus b/c he has to ride the brakes with his th400. i put it in 1st gear and idle down...

pheery said:
that is the key right there, i agree completely. geared right, it is pretty nice, especially downhill.

my buddy says he gets nervous every time we go down schoolbus b/c he has to ride the brakes with his th400. i put it in 1st gear and idle down...

I agree, but since the 4 to 1's in my D300, I can't do the first gear thing. the whole jeep slides. 2nd worked a lot better. Also in first, the engine would be idled up and down due to the gearing so it wasn't too comfortable of a ride.
I don't think I used brakes but just a couple of times the whole way down schoolbus.

How about a hand throttle? Does anyone run a hand throttle in their rig? That would leave both feet on the clutch & brake. Is that a good option or just a gimmic to seperate you from your hard earned $$$? :driver:

<><Fish

FishHunt said:
How about a hand throttle? Does anyone run a hand throttle in their rig? That would leave both feet on the clutch & brake. Is that a good option or just a gimmic to seperate you from your hard earned $$$? :driver:

<><Fish

Was thinking of running a hand throttle, that is if I ever finish this beast. Was easy before I had a family.

hand throttles work, cperry runs one. i believe he made it out of a bike brake cable, so there is minimal cash involved, and his seems to work well...

pheery said:
hand throttles work, cperry runs one. i believe he made it out of a bike brake cable, so there is minimal cash involved, and his seems to work well...

i know quite a few guys running them, most have been made using bike parts. they come in real handy for things like OBA and a steady winch pull (pulling someone else out of a stuck)

Ive got a hand throttle in mine (old shimano bike shifter), and I practically never use it, but, when I do need to use it, it is priceless. Little things like bringing the revs up while winching or trying to start on the edge of a rock while holding the brakes so you don't roll backwards and off are really where it pays off.

When I had the 5 speed, I had a hand throttle. It came with the I6 that I put in the CJ. It was made out of what looked like a bike gear shifter. It was kinda handy because it locked in intervals, so each time it "clicked" the throttle went higher. Great for winching and cruise control!

Back