Rocker Switch or Toggle Switch?

I use Bocatech switches for the boats all the time. Marine grade stainless and water proof. Different types of switches with internal breakers even programable. Never thought about using these in the off road toys but it might work pretty well. Google 'em

Those look like E-Switch or Bulgin switches (or China copies of those) with extra electronics added to the backs of them for the higher current and additional functions. Bocatech is probably making the piggyback stuff, not the switch itself. I've used the Bulgin and E-Switch products in the past, but have used them with external power control boards as that's what the switches are designed to do. Building the power functions onto an existing pre-made switch is interesting, but I'm not sure if I'd spend that amount of money on that type of piggyback switch just for the aesthetics. If I was doing a high-end build, I'd use a multi-circuit solid state power controller (intelligent power controller) and use the fancy stainless switches to trigger that. The switches themselves aren't very expensive, the piggyback stuff is.

Last edited:
I'll be taking notes and following along on this thread. I suck at building a dash. I'll be redoing mine probably once a year for the rest of its life. I'm interested to see which switches work best and most importantly, don't rust.

On the winch thing, why not just get a wireless remote?
because its gonna suck when your rig is half under water/mud and that transmitter doesn't work.

I did like others, used a 2-position rocker with a cover as a kill switch, that enables a momentary on-off-on toggle.
Also, I moved the solenoid box and plug for the 15 ft remote to up right in front of the firewall, and left the original wiring in place for it so I could either use the in-cab or the remote

I had good luck with my wireless remote until you had most of the cable extended.. until it didn't work any more. But I did leave a wired controller hooked up.. Wireless was nice.. especially loading cars onto the trailer by yourself. Sit in the vehicle & steer & run the winch.

Back