Rode Old NC 105 today. (Pics)

13bullets

Chris
I finally got my wife in the Jeep, and figured Old NC 105 would be a nice easy ride for her. We saw a ton of fwd cars. The boys were with us, and we had an awesome day!

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0278.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0283.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0284.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0287.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0289.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0299.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0311.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0319.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0326.jpg

ai159.photobucket.com_albums_t130_maindistribution_DSC_0331.jpg

Great pics. Looks like s nice time. Where exactly were u?

That looks like a good ride on the dual sport. About how many miles did yall cover?
It's about a 13 mile run if you go straight through. There are quite a few side roads (trails?) that break off the southern end that we didn't go down. They look like they stretch all the way back over to Hwy 221 to the West, and into the canyon to the east.

We got a late start, had to wait until after tee-ball practice this morning, and didn't head out from home until 1pm. We got back home a little before 9pm, so all in all it was an 8 hour trip, but included lunch at Abele's in Morganton and supper on Hwy 221 at Louise's Rock House (not recommended, btw) just north of the falls.

Coming back down after supper we made the entire "off road" portion in roughly 35 minutes. From Hwy 183 on the north end to Hwy 126 on the south.

We did pass a couple dirt bikes along the way. There are also many camp sites down through there.

That is a great ride...we took the Jeep up there last weekend. We also stumbled across Brown Mountain ORV area. It is mostly for dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.

Great pics by the way!!

The only time I have ever been was 2 years ago when there was about 10 inches of snow on the ground and last winter when it was a trace of snow...looks beautiful in the spring ,great pics

I can't imagine any ride in a 3500 Dodge being comfortable :D, but I don't see any reason not to take it on the 105. There are a couple slight climbs with a switchback in them, but the worst one of those was even paved, and it doesn't narrow down at any point. I can't recall a time that two vehicles couldn't pass each other. The rock they use on it is rather large for gravel, I aired my tires down to 20 psi and it made the ride much smoother, and more enjoyable.

If you come out the south end and turn right there's a gas station a few miles down 126 that has air for 75¢. If you turn left there's nothing for miles and miles.

I would venture to say nearly any stock vehicle could make the drive on a dry day.

Its been years since I've been through there. Hiked from Table Rock once and came out on that road (brutal!).

Famous Louises was good once upon a time.

Thanks for posting the pics. I need to get back out there soon.

Great pics Chris, I might have to make that ride day soon.

We went up there in high school once & it was so rutted out it was nearly impossible in a stock 4x4 Ranger. I haven't been that far up in a long time, but back then the maintenance was poor. It didn't seem to keep a random Civic or Sable out though.

Thank you for the original post. I plan on doing this in the next few weeks. I had some General Grabber AT2's put on the Subaru yesterday at Rides so I'm looking for 20 mile dirt road to try them out.

I can't imagine any ride in a 3500 Dodge being comfortable :D, but I don't see any reason not to take it on the 105. There are a couple slight climbs with a switchback in them, but the worst one of those was even paved, and it doesn't narrow down at any point. I can't recall a time that two vehicles couldn't pass each other. The rock they use on it is rather large for gravel, I aired my tires down to 20 psi and it made the ride much smoother, and more enjoyable.

If you come out the south end and turn right there's a gas station a few miles down 126 that has air for 75¢. If you turn left there's nothing for miles and miles.

I would venture to say nearly any stock vehicle could make the drive on a dry day.
Did you think an 4x4 Xterra will make this route w/any issues????

Back