Roll Bar Tubing Questions.

thecj3man

I have wanted to put a roll bar or simple cage into my 50 CJ3A for a while and I am finally ready to get the materials ordered. I really like the look of the 1.75" tubing that YJJPWrangler used in his build for his 48. I had planned on using HREW tubing but I am having a hard time finding it with 11 gauge wall, at least at the normal supplier. When I have bought new materials in the past I have used East TN Steel Supply, located in Morristown. They do offer DOM in this size, but at 4 times the price. They are a Siskin Steel company.

Is there any suppliers near Asheville or other locations close to East Tennessee that carry HREW 1.75" .120 wall tubing?

I sell it, but I don't have a stock order coming anytime soon.
Around AVL, you could try Production Welding and Fabrication. They usually have it on the shelf.

How much were you quoted for the DOM? I'm sure @Jody Treadway knows someone/somewhere to get some tube near Asheville?

Siskin quoted $9.88 a foot.

I sell it, but I don't have a stock order coming anytime soon.
Around AVL, you could try Production Welding and Fabrication. They usually have it on the shelf.

Thank you. If I have to wait a while to get started I will message you and see if you have any available. Its a nice 45 minute drive to Asheville from here and I am always looking for an excuse to visit.

Dom is better...

This

Also I think there was a brief shortage on 1.75x.120 as it took a bit for Ryerson to get some for me. Also the price jumped quite a bit over the last few weeks.

Siskin quoted $9.88 a foot.

Thank you. If I have to wait a while to get started I will message you and see if you have any available. Its a nice 45 minute drive to Asheville from here and I am always looking for an excuse to visit.

Holyshit batman, $9.88 a foot? Should less than half that.

Yeah DOM is better no doubt. That price is double what I paid for mine. I just picked up a 20lf stick of 1.75x.120 for $87.82 at Race City Steel in Denver, so right at $4.40 a ft. I know its nowhere close to TN but it gives you an idea of what to pay for.

I have ordered all my DOM from Alro in the past out of Charlotte. Their truck goes right by my shop in Hartsville 3 times a week. I would expect $80 - $90 per stick. At the price you were quoted I'd guess they don't normally stock it and it was we don't want to order it for you price.....

Back in March I paid $3.72/LF for 1-3/4 .120 wall DOM from Ryerson but my order was also over $900.0
If you are quoting 1 or two pieces there isn't going to be much of a discount. I also pick it up not delivered. Again not close to you but just for reference.

Back in March I paid $3.72/LF for 1-3/4 .120 wall DOM from Ryerson but my order was also over $900.0
If you are quoting 1 or two pieces there isn't going to be much of a discount. I also pick it up not delivered. Again not close to you but just for reference.

Thank you for the price comparison. The closest Ryerson to me is in Pounding Mill, Virginia, about 80 miles give or take. They quoted $3.47 per foot if I go pick it up.

Shit, I'll say it. My whole cage is HREW .120. It'll be fine. DOM is better but with a properly built cage I wouldn't sweat it that much.

Back