Rough running truck...

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Another Ford problem:fuck-you:
My engine is running a little rough. Of course its got some mileage, but I've run twice as many miles with no issues on other trucks of mine...
Mechanic says its the torque converter, but I had the same problem on my other F-250, 5-speed, so I don't think its the torque converter:D
BTW, its a 2000 F-250, gas V8 with auto trans
Anyway, around 1400 to 1600 rpms (while cruisin at 50mph) the truck seems to "jerk" a little when I lightly touch the gas. When I floor it, a hesistation occurs, quits, then another hesitation, and so on and so forth...
Some days its really bad, some days it runs like its brand new...:confused:
Changed the fuel filter, nothing changed
ran high octane for a while thinking it may be too low grade gas, nothing changed
put injector cleaner in gas, no change
No codes come up on the computer. Mechanic says its hard to pinpoint unless I start replacing parts, hoping it gets fixed...
:confused:
OK, so I don't want to start replacing random parts, as it gets expensive very quick...
Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have this same issue before?
I'm thinking it may dirty injectors, poor spark (bad plugs/wires/coil?)
I'm no mechanic, just a welder. Help me out:D
Rob

I'd definitely replace plugs and wires...I've had several odd little stumbles over the years cured by that...

other things could be O2 sensor ("supposed" to be replaced every 60K)...or a clogged cat...

that's about as far as I'd go with just throwing parts at it...

Greg

does not sound like t-converter. It does sound like you need a new mechanic.
Pull a plug and see what it looks like, look under your hood at night and see if your wires are arcing.
does your check engine light come on when you turn the truck on, b/c i would think that you would have a misfire code.

Does it have any codes stored in it? The cheap way to get it scanned is to go to Advance auto or Auto zone and have them do a scan on it through the OBD2 system.

I'm gonna replace the plugs and wires, only problem on the Super Duty trucks is that they are a real PITA to get to...

The cat may be another culprit, I think its time for it to be replaced...

Neve chaged the O2 Sensors either..

Don't recall the check engine light ever coming on, or not...

Rob

Do the gas models use the same drive-by-wire throttle pedal set-up as the diesels? Could be a loose connector if so.

IME, the coil-on-plug wires go bad pretty regularly.

But when they do, it's always tripped a code for excessive misfires.

make sure when you turn the key to "on" that the Check Engine light comes on...then goes off...

that's to make sure you don't have a bulb out...

if you're driving it to MB, I can bring my code reader...in case you don't get by an AutoZone in the next couple days...

I'd definitely do the upstream O2 sensor...might see an MPG increase even if it still stumbles...

Greg

Yeah, I'll check the light. Bulb may be out.

I'll drive it to MB.

Greg, I'll be there Sat. AM, and maybe Sunday too. I'm sure I'll see ya around. Don't think I'll get by an Auto Zone by then...

Rob

rockcity said:
Yeah, I'll check the light. Bulb may be out.
I'll drive it to MB.
Greg, I'll be there Sat. AM, and maybe Sunday too. I'm sure I'll see ya around. Don't think I'll get by an Auto Zone by then...
Rob

no problem...I'll toss the scanner in the truck...

I'll be there mid-day Friday til Saturday evening, so we'll make sure to look at it Saturday morning sometime...

Greg

If it's an ignition component failure it will most likely break down under a load. Try to line lock the truck (step on the brake and gas to the point it wants to turn the tires), if the problem surfaces then its most likely plugs, isolators or coils. IIRC that truck has C-O-P ( coil on plug) confiuration. They are relatively easy to change, just make sure the coil is snapped all the way down. You do not have to move the fuel rail, the coil will finagle out of there.

Also If this is a 5.4 truck, check your cam pos. sensor on the front of the d/s head behind the ps pump and the crank angle sensor on the crank p/s bottom. I had one do the same thing and it turned out the haromonic balancer was too tight and the tone ring would not read properly on the the crank sensor.

I would expect the multiple random missfire code if was an ignition failure. Also the lockup feature of your torque converter can cause the same conditions. Try to tap the brake to disengage the lockup when it starts to stutter and them acclerate and see if does the same thing.

If the catalytic converter was bad you most likely would have your speed limited to about 40-65 mph. It will only allow you to travel as fast as it can move that much air thru it as clogging is usually the culprit. That problem usually is not random either, once up to temp it should rear its ugly head every time.

hope this helps.

Back