Rubbing alcohol in fuel tank??

96tacolx

Was filling up the truck the other day and saw a kid put a quart of rubbing alcohol in his fuel tank. I`m thinking "wtf?"
Just curious what he thinks this will benefit him. :driver:

Would that be from fuel infection or herpes simplex ten? (Beverly Hills Cop) :lol:

Isopropyl alcohol is used to absorb water in fuel.

In Northern states in the winter it is pretty common to run this in your tank a few times a year or if the temp drops to extremes. HEET is a brand name some would be familiar with.

I used to buy it at the motorcycle shop in 4oz bottles as PURE Isopropyl when I winterized my moped. Get the stuff on yer hands and it'll draw moisture, oils and all outta yer skin.

Rubbing alcohol is 70% Isopropyl and 30% water, so I'm not so sure he's is realizing the effect he intends.

Kevin

If you are close on emissions I believe it will get you closer. Thats basically all that gauranteed 2 pass stuff is.

k20 said:
If you are close on emissions I believe it will get you closer.

I have also heard this. A friend's dad had a high-mileage POS 1985 Pontiac Bonneville that wouldn't pass the sniffer, so he ran it almost out of gas and poured a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank right before driving it to the shop again. Passed the emissions test with no prob.

Richard

The alcohol will mix with the water that collects at the bottom of the tank and will also mix wit the gas. this allows the water to mix with the gas and as the gas is used up the water goes with it. it is a very good thing to do at leat once a year.
Carl

Back