Rubicon Dana44 or ARB locker and axle kit

RAYZZ

I have a 99TJ with Dana 35 rear 4:56 gears, 4.5 lift, 33's and lockright locker. I really do not like the lockright locker . Makes a real wild ride on street. Would like to be able to let wife drive. Thinking about Rubicon dana 44 setup in rear or Evolution series rear axle kit (Axles go from 27 spline to 30 spline) and ARB air locker about $1600.00 with compressor kit sold thru Quadratec. Will the axle case be strong as well on dana 35.:burnout:

for about asmuch as it costs to polish a turd (dana 35) you could replace it with a better axle. 9" can be found really cheap or even an 8.8 from an explorer. Its alot better to put money into replacing it instead of wasting it trying to build it up.

my .02 so u can disregard it if u want haha
Ryan

**If i cam correct, jeep rubicon dana 44's arnt true dana 44, they just have dana 44 inner shafts and dana 30 outter shafts I THINK I could be wrong but i think i remember reading that somewhere

I wouldn't put a lockright or an ARB in a Dana 35...

...and Q-tec has the highest prices in the industry...call somebody local like Andy at Carolina Rock Shop to get a better deal...

are your choices to do a D44, or go with a Super35 kit? I was a little confused after reading your post a couple times...

Greg

thebluyak said:
**If i cam correct, jeep rubicon dana 44's arnt true dana 44, they just have dana 44 inner shafts and dana 30 outter shafts I THINK I could be wrong but i think i remember reading that somewhere

they share some of the same weak points as the D30...same u-joint, etc...

but, I "think" he's talking about just the rear...in which the Rubi D44 is the same one you could get in a Sport, Sahara, Rocky Mountain Edition, etc...

Greg

For the rear - I would go with a Dana 44 or an Explorer 8.8.
Put in a selectable and you are all set.

I do a lot of ARBs and love 'em, but in this case unless you want OBA for other reasons you would money ahead to go with an electrical locker. Like the Eaton E-Locker, or the Detroit (TracTec) ElecTrac. Considering your wife will be driving it too, it be a lot easier to just hit one switch, rather than worry about if the air is on etc.

Depending on your wheeling preferences.

Another option - and I DON'T believe I am saying this - is the ARB for the Super 35 shafts and some better shafts. That is a lot of money to throw at a Dana 35, (and personally I wouldn't do it) but it is an option and will save you the effort and $$$$ of an axle swap and THEN still have to put in the selectable and all the other bells and whistles.

Naaaa - never mind. It will still be a POS D35. Forget I mentioned it.

I wouldn't invest a dime in a D35. I would start searching the local junkyards for a regular TJ D44. Sometimes you get lucky and it will install with very little headaches. Other option is the Ford 8.8. A little more work but can by done without spending a small fortune. Either axle offers you a variety of gear ratios and locker options to choose from.

Dont waste time or money on your D35. If you can find one for a decent price, the Rubi D44 would be a good candidate since its bolt in installation, but youll need an air system. IMO, the 8.8 is a great cost effecient/strong replacement and can be found for fairly cheap if you look hard enough. Im sure he'll chime in, but I believe CRS has 8.8s ready to roll.

StudNuts said:
IMO, the 8.8 is a great cost effecient/strong replacement and can be found for fairly cheap if you look hard enough. Im sure he'll chime in, but I believe CRS has 8.8s ready to roll.

Thanks Studnuts, you are correct. We keep 8.8s in stock ready to roll with 4.10s and LSD. I can put an ARB in no problems, we just build them to the customer specs.

If I can help Ray, give me a shout. Icould have one ready to go for you in just a couple days.

Don't polish the D35, there are much better options. Like Greg said, Qdtec is pretty high on the average. We can get you the same Rubi 44 if that is the way you want to go. Stick with the ARB though, the Rubi Locker is turning out to be a PITA and pretty weak in quite a few cases we have seen.

Call me if I can help
Andy

price

Wow thats sounds really cool :Rockon: A 8.8 ready to bolt in. Can I get a price on 8.8 with LSD and 4:56 gearing and 8.8 with ARB and 4:56 gearing.

LET ME :gitrdun: :)

Hey get some rubicon axles!!!!!!!!!!

Iwill sell you both my rubicon axles and the aircompressor and all so you can be ready to roll. let me know. Not trying to block andy but if you dont want a 8.8 and you do want 44's I have themlocked geared and diff gaurded so you can hit the trails.:D :driver: :smokin:

KRAWLER

Back