Runnin a Welder off my Truck?

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
I know ready welders are run off of truck systems and I have also seen the pro welders with the big trailers runnin there welders off there trucks. What would it take to run my hobart 175 (220 outlet required) off my truck? Reason I ask is I'm up here at State and have all my tools with me to work on stuff but I have nowhere to plug my welder in and am kinda stumped on what to do cause I need to weld some stuff.
Thanks

The Ready Welder and similar types are run off a high amp alternator driven off the engine. Professional welding units, truck mounts or trailer mounts have their own small engine to generate power. Your best bet is to find a suitable generator, or a small welder that runs off 110 that you can plug in anywhere.

Well guys appreciate the mention of Ready Welder, but, you are both wrong on how they operate.
Ready Welder operates of a constant DC voltage supply, in most cases, one, two or three batteries. Some folks get the ADP and run it off of their Stick welder to give them mig capability's. While others buy it and run it off of their mig welders, to give them spool gun capability's to weld with aluminum.
When using a Ready Welder you isolate the battery or batteries from the vehicle charging system. This is why you have the capability to weld 1" thick metal in a single pass, and also why you have a 100% duty cycle. You do not have a generator or welder that will be building heat while producing power to work the Ready Welder.

Another popular welder used to make repairs is the Premier Welding system. It does use the vehicle to generate its power.

It would most likely be enough except for the higher settings on your Hobart.

or: you could find a friend who has a dryer or stove hook-up and run a long drop cord

or: as mentioned, get a 110 machine like the Hobart 135 or 140

or: you could buy a Ready Welder from me, get a decent battery charger for about the same money as that Generator, and have a welder to take on the trail too

Go with a ready welder and a few blue tops, you will love it just recharge them when needed. I have been running this for a few years with good luck.
Jon

I'd do the plug into one of my friends houses cause I have an extension cord for my welder but I don't want to be all in somebodys place all the time welding stuff, I mean I feel like im leaching off my friends when i do work at there place's.

What the situation is is me and my friend chris are wanting to rent out one of the huge storage units and use it as our garage to work out of here at State instead of having to keep asking people if we can work at their places, but obviously the problem is no 220 outlets in any of the storage facilities.

I don't want to go buy a smaller welder either that runs on 110 because pretty much 80% of the stuff I weld is thick stuff that requires a 175's power

Optimally I'd get a ready welder cause having a portable welder would rock but it's not really in the budget right now (neither is a genrator) and my truck still hasn't been fixed from when the frame got all messed up (which is one of the things I need to weld to fix)

For now not really sure what I'm gonna do cause were ready to get our "garage" but its gonna suck if we still have to ask someone to let us use there place whenever we need to weld cause the majority of the stuff I do is welding on various things.

As far as the ready welder though, other than the $400 for the kit and two more optima's ($200 there) what would I have to buy? I saw you mentioned a charger, what exactly are you talkin bout there? Couldn't you just hook your batteries back to the truck and let the alternator charge em back up after welding?

As far as the ready welder though, other than the $400 for the kit and two more optima's ($200 there) what would I have to buy? I saw you mentioned a charger, what exactly are you talkin bout there? Couldn't you just hook your batteries back to the truck and let the alternator charge em back up after welding?

You don't have to have Optima's, you can use any 12V battery. The optima's seem to hold up better, longer. But if you buy new batteries, they do have warranty's!

The charger I mentioned is to charge the batteries back up. Not necessary, but handy. Yes, you can stick them back in your truck and charge them back up, as long as you don't discharge them so much they won't crank you back up

Gotcha, charger would be good if the batteries died, how long can you usually weld off three optima's? I have a red top now so i guess it'd be a total of two blue tops and one red powerin the system.

Somethin else I didn't think about is renting a generator from lowes or home depot whenever I would need one, just depends on what the rates are I'll have to check. If I were to rent one what size should i look for? I think the one i posted a link to earlier was 8 hp 5000 watt. What would power my 175 fully?

Rick, to begin with, you won't need 3 batteries very often. That's for the heavy stuff. I welded my receiver hitch on my bus with just two batteries. Just a guestamation, I would say 65 or 70 inches of welding. Maybe more, maybe less. I have not really added it up while using mine. I can say all the trail repairs I have did in the past, never took the batteries down where they would not crank the rig back up. I myself have three red tops, but only use two for welding. I have them set up so I can isolate two of them for welding, then reconnect to charge them back.

As far as what size generator you will need to power the 175, I won't say, I am sure someone here has more experience at that than me.

To size the generator does anyone know the current draw of the 175, I am too lazy to search.

A few other points.
I have a readywelder I use 2 wal-mart batteries, and replace every 11 months or so...funny how they die right before the warranty runs out :rolleyes: , they were 48 a piece a few years ago, reminds me time for replacements next month

As to battery charger, alternator charging the battery from a full or mostly disharged state is a horrible idea and will do nohing but ruin your battery fairly quickly.

A cheap trickle charger can be had for $20 they are worth it. Most any new one will have a desulfation cycle that will pay for itself the first time you do alternator charge a dead battery 3 or 4 times....

Well, you have a max voltage of 30V and a max amperage of 180A, so 30*180=5400Watts. However, there are some losses so 6000watts is more reasonable. I believe most welders actually run on 20 Volts and modulate the current, so 20*175=3500watts plus some for losses and overrating of the generator. I would go with something at least 4000watts if you will be using full power alot, but I don't think you would really need more than 5500watts, assuming the generator produces relatively close to the advertised amount.

Question with the generator is how long do you plan on using the welder at a given spurt. If you EVER envision 8-10 hours of near steady welding, derate the generator by ~ 80%.

You will also need to check into PVR (peak voltage recovery) times, this is essentially the lag between the draw causing the motor to spool up and the associated spike in available electricity.

This power lag combined with the notorious "dirty" wave of generated power (especially in the lower Kw lines) will serve to shorten the life of your welder.

Basically it comes down to the age old argument.

Oversize the generator and get more dependable long lasting solution, but pay more.

Save a few bucks now and pay for it later (depending on amount and frequency of use)

Yea i mean if i were to buy sometihng it would be the readywelder instead of buying a generator, but like I said were probably just gonna have to end up renting a generator for now so i mean i can just rent a big generator i guess, depends on what the rentage rates are too.

One way or another Im gonna weld, i'll figure something out :driver:

Have you looked at the alternator-based onboard welder plans on the internet? I'm working up one now for onboard welding on my CJ, I figure to have about $225 in it including 200amp alt, 20' leads, other accessories.

Another thought, run a PTO off that 205 in your F100 and turn one of the Northern Hydraulics PTO generators...haven't looked at prices on them recently, but they are pretty cheap, from what I remember (as there is no motor and stuff).

Remember to consider the cost of your gas consumption with a generator -- a lot of generators will cost you almost a gallon an hour.

Well guys appreciate the mention of Ready Welder, but, you are both wrong on how they operate.
Ready Welder operates of a constant DC voltage supply, in most cases, one, two or three batteries. Some folks get the ADP and run it off of their Stick welder to give them mig capability's. While others buy it and run it off of their mig welders, to give them spool gun capability's to weld with aluminum.
When using a Ready Welder you isolate the battery or batteries from the vehicle charging system. This is why you have the capability to weld 1" thick metal in a single pass, and also why you have a 100% duty cycle. You do not have a generator or welder that will be building heat while producing power to work the Ready Welder.
Another popular welder used to make repairs is the Premier Welding system. It does use the vehicle to generate its power.

You're welcome for the free plug. I was thinking of the Premier and I should know better. I have one of the original Ready Welders, the drill driven type, so I guess I should know the difference. Your sales pitch is excellent, I think the guy down the road might buy it.

Back