Running Boards, Nerf Bars, and Side Steps in General

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
I bought an 02 2500HD last November and it came with regular, run of the mill, Westin nerf bars on it. They style that bolt up to the body mounts. They're sturdy enough, I guess, but not exactly my absolute favorite way to mount steps. I noticed when I bought the truck that there was zero rust on it aside from the passenger's side battery tray, the bottom of the fender from the battery acid running down it, and the step brackets. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and the rear bracket on the driver's side finally gave up. Naturally, I'm now on the hunt for some options to replace them. If I could just get new mounting brackets, I would just bolt them back up and go on my merry way.

However, I like the fitment and rigidity of factory steps. Did the 01-07 classic body styles comes with a factory step option? If not, can I purchase new mounting brackets from Westin or do I just need to replace the whole set of steps?

I'd prefer to have a wheel to wheel set of steps so my short ass can reach stuff in the tool box, but I'd also like to avoid drilling the rockers to mount steps.

Does anyone have pictures, preferences, or suggestions on this subject? I attached a picture of the truck for grins and giggles.

Attachments

• 20160622_175353.jpg
    20160622_175353.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 197
I bought an 02 2500HD last November and it came with regular, run of the mill, Westin nerf bars on it. They style that bolt up to the body mounts. They're sturdy enough, I guess, but not exactly my absolute favorite way to mount steps. I noticed when I bought the truck that there was zero rust on it aside from the passenger's side battery tray, the bottom of the fender from the battery acid running down it, and the step brackets. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and the rear bracket on the driver's side finally gave up. Naturally, I'm now on the hunt for some options to replace them. If I could just get new mounting brackets, I would just bolt them back up and go on my merry way.

However, I like the fitment and rigidity of factory steps. Did the 01-07 classic body styles comes with a factory step option? If not, can I purchase new mounting brackets from Westin or do I just need to replace the whole set of steps?

I'd prefer to have a wheel to wheel set of steps so my short ass can reach stuff in the tool box, but I'd also like to avoid drilling the rockers to mount steps.

Does anyone have pictures, preferences, or suggestions on this subject? I attached a picture of the truck for grins and giggles.
I have the NFAB 3 step nerf bars, just like you, I like it to access stuff in the bed of the truck. They fit nicely under the truck and are solid. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 193
I have NFab on my Dodge, and after only a few years, they have rusted to the point I can push holes thru the rust with my thumb. The ends of the NFab bars are open, so I guess allowing all the water and road grime inside it led to the rust.

Back