Salmonella linked to peanut butter

Stankoma

Yearly Wheeler
ATLANTA - Consumers should throw away certain jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter after the spread was linked to a salmonella outbreak that has sickened almost 300 people around the country, ConAgra said.

Lids of jars produced by ConAgra Foods with a product code beginning "2111" can be returned to the company for a refund, the company said.

The salmonella outbreak, which federal health officials said Wednesday has sickened 288 people in 39 states since August, was linked to tainted peanut butter produced by ConAgra at a plant in Sylvester, Ga. How salmonella got into peanut butter is still under investigation, said Dr. Mike Lynch, an epidemiologist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

ConAgra officials haven't said how much peanut butter is covered in the recall, which it called a precaution.

"We are working closely with the FDA to better understand its concerns, and we will take whatever additional measures are needed to ensure the safety, quality and wholesomeness of our products," spokesman Chris Kircher said.

CDC officials believe the salmonella outbreak to be the nation's first associated with peanut butter. The most cases were reported in New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Tennessee and Missouri.

About 20 percent of all the ill were hospitalized, and there were no deaths, Lynch said. About 85 percent of the infected people said they ate peanut butter, CDC officials said.

Salmonella infection is known each year to sicken about 40,000 people in the United States, according to the CDC. Salmonellosis, as the infection is known, kills about 600 people annually.

Symptoms can include diarrhea, fever, dehydration, abdominal pain and vomiting.

The latest outbreak began in August, with no more than two cases reported each day, CDC officials said. Only in the past few days did investigators hone in on peanut butter as a source, Lynch said.

The recall does not affect Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers, the Food and Drug Administration said.

---

To get a refund, consumers should send lids and their names and addresses to ConAgra Foods, P.O. Box 57078, Irvine, CA 92619-7078. For more information, call 866-344-6970.

ON THE NET

http://www.conagrafoods.com

I saw that on the news too!
Just checked I have 2 jars here in my cupboard! And BOTH of them have the serial number on the lid that start with 2111! one of them has been used! we arent dead yet buy we wont be using any more either!
SUNP0047.jpg

Yep, got one too. That "Sam and Ella" is bad stuff.

Better have a :beer: just to be proactive. Maybe :beer: :beer:

I just checked and I've got 3 jars! Two are the honey roasted chunky! I'm PB freak! Every morning for breakfast. Haven't died yet!

That's some stuff that you don't mess with so it's trashed!

Oh, looks like we have 2 jars too, crunchy and creamy (Peter Pan, none of that Wal-Mart crap).

I'm beginning to wonder how many Peter Pan jars DON'T have those numbers.

However, our 2 jars are already 3/4 gone. Wife and I figure, if we were gonna get sick, it'd happen by now. Yeah, we COULD turn 'em in and get 2 new jars free - but how fair would that be? We already ate 1.5 jars worth.

yeah i got it too.... save your lids and take them to the store, they will give ya a refund

I work for Coke and have been in several stores today and have seen at least one shopping cart per store in the back room if not more.

I got a phone call about this from my mom today. It went something like this:

"Hello?"
"Hey honey, how are you?"
"Hey Mom, I'm on top of a water tower right now, can I call you back when I'm not 150ft in the air?"
"Sure sweetie, but I just wanted to tell you about this peanut butter...."

Moms are so funny.

2 jars of peter pan here....
both 2111...

I just checked mine, and sure enough, it's 2111.

I was talking about it with an ex-girlfriend a few minutes ago, and she said that both she and her roommate got sick from it, and they never knew what it was until today.

Yeah, we COULD turn 'em in and get 2 new jars free - but how fair would that be? We already ate 1.5 jars worth.

I would imagine the trouble you would have to go through anyway isn't worth 2 new jars anyway.

Being a poor college student I buy what is cheapest, I guess it was onsale when i bought it. I too have a jar of Peter Pan... and it also starts with 2111. I bought it back in October, it is all but empty. I am not too woried about about getting sick, however I will try and remember not to buy peter pan next time, even IF it is cheapest. However I make no promises.

I wonder how many jars have the same 4digits.

-Tim

All I know is, I only buy one peanut butter, and it is Peter Pan. So I hope they get more on the shelf soon!
Having to sit an stare at this jar I am not supposed to eat....Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back