Saltwater/Offshore Fishing Thread

Love the old Chawks. Nice solid boats!

If you end up going to the Morehead/Atlantic Beach area, let me know and we can tag team a little. I know the waters down there pretty well and fish as much as I can. I do some runs out to Big Rock and 90’. Picked up a few Mahi, tuna, etc in my time.

I keep mine at Crows Nest in Atlantic Beach year round.

ED9386FB-AD4F-4A41-8388-8675BB6F862B.jpeg

Love the old Chawks. Nice solid boats!

If you end up going to the Morehead/Atlantic Beach area, let me know and we can tag team a little. I know the waters down there pretty well and fish as much as I can. I do some runs out to Big Rock and 90’. Picked up a few Mahi, tuna, etc in my time.

I keep mine at Crows Nest in Atlantic Beach year round.

View attachment 322563

I might have to take you up on that.

I’m driving to Georgia tomorrow to drop the Powerhead off at JTM Outboards. $3k to rebuild it and clean the injectors. I’d have been in it around $2k to do it myself so I’m thinking it’s gonna be well worth it to have a guy who’s done tons of them go through it instead of me. Supposed to be able to get it done in a week so there’s hope for it being back up before the 8th when we head to Holden.

I also have a 93 C-Hawk 23. I bought it from the original owner last year. He had never titled it. It had been in his basement since 1997. Only used 4 or 5 times. Nothing mounted in the console. Never had gas in the tank. He ran it on a portable cell. 200 Yamaha 2 stroke.
9ee300619f8dcf80ba6fc37c2a7d2755.jpg
23f383e79e1fc7f0124f8f1f876451e7.jpg
38c508bf013ec0b24544c7dfcf60d549.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

That’s awesome!!! Mine’s had a rough life and is nowhere near that clean. What’s your top speed with that 200? I wonder how big your tank is. Mine has a 90 gallon in it which is great until you pay to fill it.

That’s awesome!!! Mine’s had a rough life and is nowhere near that clean. What’s your top speed with that 200? I wonder how big your tank is. Mine has a 90 gallon in it which is great until you pay to fill it.

I've had it around 45 per the GPS on my phone. My motor is a little more than 200 now. It had been rebuilt with Wiseco pistons so I'm running a little more compression than stock. The motor is a 1988 that got water in it when it was new so it ended up getting a rebuild. I don't have a tach yet so I haven't pushed it too hard. My tank is 80 gallons. I was really glad it was completely empty so I knew exactly. It held 79.xx gallons from dead empty. The first fuel fill was around $250. My only complaint about the boat is how small the chase is between the right rear box and the console. Mine is about full and I still need to run a lot more through it.

Last edited:
I've had it around 45 per the GPS on my phone. My motor is a little more than 200 now. It had been rebuilt with Wiseco pistons so I'm running a little more compression than stock. The motor is a 1988 that got water in it when it was new so it ended up getting a rebuild. I don't have a tach yet so I haven't pushed it too hard. My tank is 80 gallons. I was really glad it was completely empty so I knew exactly. It held 79.xx gallons from dead empty. The first fuel fill was around $250. My only complaint about the boat is how small the chase is between the right rear box and the console. Mine is about full and I still need to run a lot more through it.

Very nice. Mine should pump out a bit more power when it goes back together too. Punched out a bit and block and heads decked. That combined with being fresh should make a nice difference.

I hate that rigging tube that you’re talking about. I’m planning on a new deck in the next year or two and I’m planning on putting 6” tubes everywhere. An old Greenlee steel fish tape is my friend when wiring is involved.

Very nice. Mine should pump out a bit more power when it goes back together too. Punched out a bit and block and heads decked. That combined with being fresh should make a nice difference.

I hate that rigging tube that you’re talking about. I’m planning on a new deck in the next year or two and I’m planning on putting 6” tubes everywhere. An old Greenlee steel fish tape is my friend when wiring is involved.

I read something about a company that outfitted C-hawks and they cut the tube out and put a bigger one in when the boats were new. I sure wish somebody would've did that on mine. I've been using a Klein steel fish tape but I'm almost to the point of it being full. Yours will definitely run a lot better. What were you seeing as a top speed when it was running right?

I read something about a company that outfitted C-hawks and they cut the tube out and put a bigger one in when the boats were new. I sure wish somebody would've did that on mine. I've been using a Klein steel fish tape but I'm almost to the point of it being full. Yours will definitely run a lot better. What were you seeing as a top speed when it was running right?

It's been running about 45mph as it was. GPS in the boat might say a little different but that what I remember offhand. Mine is HEAVY and that big hardtop doesn't help cut through the wind at all.

I just put 12x12" trim tabs on it and they seem to make a pretty good difference. I didn't get to mess with them too much before the water pump died on me but i was able to trim the boat with the engine as usual and then start adding tabs into it. Seemed to pick up 3-5 mph pretty easy from the tabs. They make a huge difference coming on/off plane. The boat pops pretty much straight up and doesn't bury the stern when you chop the throttle. Now I'm really wanting one of the auto controllers for them so they'll be hands off.

Your wiring pic makes me want to go out and gut the console on mine. It's a mess in there and on the list to get cleaned up.

It's been running about 45mph as it was. GPS in the boat might say a little different but that what I remember offhand. Mine is HEAVY and that big hardtop doesn't help cut through the wind at all.

I just put 12x12" trim tabs on it and they seem to make a pretty good difference. I didn't get to mess with them too much before the water pump died on me but i was able to trim the boat with the engine as usual and then start adding tabs into it. Seemed to pick up 3-5 mph pretty easy from the tabs. They make a huge difference coming on/off plane. The boat pops pretty much straight up and doesn't bury the stern when you chop the throttle. Now I'm really wanting one of the auto controllers for them so they'll be hands off.

Your wiring pic makes me want to go out and gut the console on mine. It's a mess in there and on the list to get cleaned up.
I need to look into some tabs for mine. I can't believe how much these boats weigh. My 03 Cummins quad cab 4x4 and my C-Hawk weighed in about 13,500 lbs. That puts boat and trailer over 6k. My truck is about 7300 lbs.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Back