Salvaging chili - undercooked beans

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I know there are some chili experts here...
My wife made a huge pot of chili today...sausage and beef... w/ kidney and pinto beans... crock pot all day... hmmmm it was yummy.

But aparently the beans (real stuff, no cans) must not have soaked long enough before cooking started (14 hrs?), alot of them are still pretty firm, not full crunchy but def not completely cooked, although some seem to be ok.
Is there anything that can be done now to fix that? Will continued stewing ever soften them up w/o overdoing everything else? I'd hate to make the meat too grainy now.

I love my wife and in general she is a great cook, but for some reason we (me too) can't ever get bagged beans to work out right.

pretend she did a good job. act like you like it. feed to dog when she isnt looking.

thats the best advice i can give. i have same problem. seems i never get it right with dried beans.

I dunno about salvaging them, but the beans should be probably half to 3/4 cooked before you start the chili making. I would throw the beans in the pot the night before, then throw the rest of the ingredients in the next morning. then they will be awesome when you get home from work.

I never soak beans, usually start them about 9 to 10 am and they are ready about 5 or 6 that evening. And they always turn out good

I always cook my beans before I make chili. Usually we have beans, taters and cornbread and then I make chili with the left over beans.

Cook the beans some more. Add some water and keep simmering the chili on low heat, top on, until the beans are done You can simmer more with top off to thicken or add more water to thin to get it to the consistency you like.

As JC said, simmer, keep it from getting to thick.. I usually soak over night in a bowl. Or if i forget boil per instructions. Some beans need more cooking than others.

You bunch of armatures!

First off, a crock pot is your best friend when cooking beans!
We don't soak them at all. We look the beans(taking out the rocks and dirt, wash them, and put them in the crock pot. add water, seasoning and always a little fat back.
Put crock pot on high, and turn down to low the next morning. IF you have them started by 9pm or so they will be cooked just right.

As far as getting the beans cooked a little more, just let it simmer in a stock pot, or in a crock pot. If stock pot on the stove, use lowest setting, in crock high is fine. It may get a little darker, but in my opinion, it will make it even better. You can add some water, or some more crushed tomatoes to keep it from drying out.

from now on if you want some advice about country cookin, ask a pro! LOL

pretend she did a good job. act like you like it.

Did that. As stated, the chili IS good, the beans are just a little undercooked. (I think) she agrees that it's just hard to get the beans right.

You bunch of armatures!
First off, a crock pot is your best friend when cooking beans!
As far as getting the beans cooked a little more, just let it simmer in a stock pot, or in a crock pot. If stock pot on the stove, use lowest setting, in crock high is fine. It may get a little darker, but in my opinion, it will make it even better. You can add some water, or some more crushed tomatoes to keep it from drying out.
from now on if you want some advice about country cookin, ask a pro! LOL

That's why thsi is the first place I came for teh fix!

So the problem is, the chili is made. E.g. meat, maters, onions, everything all in there already. The meat seems just right.
I guess my magic question is, is there an ideal way to reheat/let it keep workin' on those beans now, w/o ruining teh rest? We used a crock. Just alot more time on low? Or a quick burst high? It's not thick yet by any means. (of course I had to fridge the monstrous leftover amount overnight now).

I've had some trouble with beans, still getting the hang of it myself!

If the chili could use some thickening anyway, I'd put it on the stove to simmer... chili is always better the second or third day!

Do you read the replies to your posts? :popcorn:

Sorry, b/c the replies specifically said "the beans" I was afraid it was missed that I'd be cooking *everything*, not just beans.

Back