Sangster's WJ Build

Sangster

Ok, here's my build thread for this new trail toy. Haven't picked out a "name" for it yet.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
207k miles on the odometer, no clue what is original or been rebuilt
4.7L HO motor, 5 speed auto
QuadraDrive NV247 TC
D44a rear, D30 front, factory Vari-Lok limited slips in both

The suspension is squishy, old, and worn slap out. So it's getting all new ball joints and tie-rod ends. Sway bar end links will be replaced with quick disconnects.

Right now, it has brand new bridgestone P235/65R17 tires. Those will be replaced with 33's for as long as I have these axles.

What I've done so far:
rear window glass struts
Moog SSD107 Steering Damper

Ball joint tool was delivered today from Amazon, so those will be next.

Then I have to choose which lift to get. Shooting for around 3-4" with 33's mud terrains.

Will update this thread as I do more.

Here's how it sits now

thumbnail.jpg

Looks good dude!! Can’t wait to see it at URE. Go look at Ironman fabs stuff . Andy will take care of you and has some sweet WJ stuff. Ironman4x4fab LLC

Update

-changed the rear upper control arm & ball joint.
-fixed the mis-adjusted power adjustable pedals (brake pedal was all the way back and gas pedal was all the way forward)
-stripped the threads on the 200k+ mile stock steering damper trying remove it. SO now I have to cut off the bolt, replace it, and install the new MOOG Steering Damper
-programmed the garage door opener button
-changed the front wheel hubs/bearings thinking they were the cause of a sound up front when I braked hard. Brake pads/rotors are good, tires not rubbing anywhere, etc. Turns out, when braking hard and my soft ass 200k mile OEM springs compressed, the front driveshaft would rub against the parking brake cable. Got under there and zip tied it further away. Won't be an issue once it's lifted in a couple weeks. But at least I have a couple good spare hubs. :)

New clunk up front somewhere. Not worried about it, everything gets replaced with the lift kit.

Last edited:
Back