School me on DIY Beadlock kits

Dang, that sucks. I probably wouldn't have caught that either.

Yeah bummer huh! I have fully welded rim stiffeners now. I was trying to get bead locks rocking before a Harlan trip in a few weeks, but it will have to wait.o_O

I have never mounted a tire from the back of the wheel, i hope the ones i just ordered were right

If it is 2" backspace it is most likely reversed. As said you can't get the tire over the wheel to clamp it.

If you are wanting 2" bs & weld-ons, you will probly need to weeks in a new center.

I believe a few companies make 2" bs & not reversed but they arent cheap

Yeh, I've read about this problem before. I would have posted to give you a heads up if I knew you had reversed center wheels. It seems like the best option for beadlocking a set of reversed center wheels is an IAL. They are not cheap though. Plus I feel like a rock ring/rim stiffener is still needed, so the whole wheel combination gets pricey. That has been the plan for my rig from the beginning. If you need the shallow back spacing (2"), then the other option is to run a standard BS wheel (3-3/4") with a wheel spacer, then you can do the weld on beadlock kits. But again more money for the wheel spacers.

http://innerairlock.com/

Last edited:
If I knew about reverse mount rims I would have done it all differently. Lesson learned. I posted this in an effort to save someone else from making the same mistake. Hopefully a mod can move it to Axles/Suspension/Tires so it will be more easily found.

A 8" wide rim with 2" back space was great with no beadlocks and a 12" wide tire because I could get away with lower pressure. Would a 10" wide rim with a standard backspace provide the same stance as the 8" rim? I know I may have an issue with the need for spacers still. The reason for spacers immediately is to clear the calipers then the potential for rubbing my leaves when turned all the way. Occasionally spacers can be found for a deal.

If I was in your position, I think that I would sell your current wheels with the welded on ring (somebody will buy them, I run 2" BS wheels with rim stiffeners on my Sami), but keep the outer bolt on bead lock part. Then, buy a cheap used set of standard backspacing (3-3/4") wheels, buy another set of rings to weld to the new used set of rims, and watch PBB or NC4x4 to buy a used set of 1.5" wheel spacers if that is the track width that you like. A 10" wide rim with a welded on beadlock becomes even wider. Probably borderline too wide for a 12.50 wide tire, but that is just my opinion. Obviously it is going to cost you a bit more in the end, but you will have what you want.

That's exactly what I was thinking too Danny. I may even take a look at junk yards. Surely there are some cheap steel rims laying around. A standard rim would work, but the offset places the outer edge of my tires past the sliders and exo. I had some 10" rims for a while and they did well, but the last thing I want to do is weld on another set of rings only to loose the inner bead.

You can mount those it wont be fun but it can be done. You will need a cheetah to set the bead tho and probably would never get it to reseal on the trail if you lost the inner bead, but it can be done.

I heard it was possible with an old school tire machine, but a royal PITA. I tried to mount it by hand two different days. I wanted to shoot the damn things I got so pissed off.

Do you have a cheetah I can borrow? lol

I don't want to create more headaches down the road so I think I will just keep an eye out and try to start over.

Another option would be to sell the current wheels, find some cheap beadlocks the size you want & weld in new centers at 2" bs. They will most likely need to be a custom size but itll work & might be cheaper

MRW

You can mount those it wont be fun but it can be done. You will need a cheetah to set the bead tho and probably would never get it to reseal on the trail if you lost the inner bead, but it can be done.

I would like to see this done. I think it depends on the tire. Last time i tried to do this, i got the bead half way over and it looked like the bead was going to tear so i stopped. Some tires have larger bead specs than others so it might work for them.

Hey Mike. PM sent

Back