School me on Winston-Salem

ecu88xj

So I got a job offer that will put me in winston for 6 months, starting in early January. The only experience I've had there has been stopping by the Hanes mall area on the way to tellico.

What's there to do there?

Any suggestions on where to live?

Any suggestions on where NOT to live? ( i.e. I dont want to have to worry about my car getting jacked by ashy larry for the 12 CD's visible and the change in the cupholder)

Any other Insight into the area is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Good place IMO. Lots to do. I live less than a mile from Hanes mall. You looking for an apartment or house?

One of the nice points about living in WS is you don't have to haul your trash cans to the curb every week!! :)

88 XJs :beer:

Gary

Yeah, knowing where you'll be working makes a big difference. How do you feel about traffic? Honestly traffic here isn't THAT bad anyway, at least compared to the Cary sprawl.
If looking to rent a townhouse, I we lived in a great place off of Healy Dr/Old Vineyard that was affordable and pleasant, and the owner didn't mind that I worked on my Cherokee in the parking lot.
This is a pretty nice place to live though.

Downtown - not terribly exciting, excep tin the summer the cities sponsors alot of open music and art stuff.
Oh and if you like hot/fresh doughnuts - home of Krispy Kreme, baby!

Never be on a street with a number after 5 :D (25th street, 34th street...etc)

Personally I wouldn't live IN Winston. Because #1 the NICE places are expensive as HELL and #2 the places you can afford and are reasonible back up to unsavory housing IMHO

Great places to live, in order from least expensive to most......all within 10 miles or so of Winston

King/Tobaccoville
Kernersville
Davidson County
Clemmons

Clemmons is exploding with people/developments/shopping and the price is going up daily. Quite a few Million dollar plus homes there.

Kernersville is growing by leaps and bounds as well but at a lower expense, but it puts you in the middle of Winston, Greensboro, and High point. To me thats the best case. Because if Winston doesn't have it, Greensboro does. BTW I'd never live in Greensboro....went to college there and commuted. The roads, and shear volume ON the roads there are enough to make you consider smoking crack to calm your nerves.

King....is king. Redneck, SLOW to change, but great deals on land, and fulla "good-ole-boys" Take that for what it's worth

Winston doesn't have a night-life. If you're in your 20's and single, run down to Charlotte (an hour or hour and a half depending on what part) and party your ass off. But it does have enough resturaunts to where you won't get the same old same old twice in one year.

What kinda "stuff" are you into?

Yeah, the night life isn't much... There's the topless Bars on Peters Creek, Burke Street(young crowd), Ziggy's (rock club) has a big show sometimes, Wake Forest Games.............

I lived in the Lewisville/Clemmons area for 6 years. I moved 2 years ago paying 550 a month for a 2 br townhouse. Nice area, no real riff raff.

I'm pretty sure it's in the WFU area. I would like to keep the commute under 30 minutes each way.

I've never lived in a multi-story apartment complex, only townhouses and duplexes, but I may have to consider apartments b/c 1) i'm looking at a 6 month lease and 2) I'm going to be looking for 1 bedrooms unless I can find a 2 bedroom that I can reasonably afford by myself.
One thing I require is to find somewhere that has no problem with working on cars/trucks

I'm in my 20's and single, I'm not really into the whole club scene; If I can find a good local bar with good specials and fun people I'm perfectly content. Maybe an occasional house party thrown in here or there.

As far as stuff that i'm into; pretty much anything outdoors; fishing, boating, mountain biking, skiing, wheelin. I really enjoy wrenching on anything; cars trucks, go karts, lawn mowers, small appliances, home improvements.... I am getting into fabrication, which apartment life would likely make extremely difficult. :( I like good food, beer and wine as well.

So thats about it.

Man, This whole move thing is gonna cut into the progress of the body swap I'm starting on my cherokee.

i have to chime in..... body swap on a cherokee???

winston is alright, i prefer greensboro, and there is plenty of nightlife in g-boro, about 25-30 minutes tops. you will like it around the triad area...

Id you consider 30 min a tolerable commute limit, then you could live pretty much ANYWHERE around winston or surrounding towns. Traffic just isn't quitet hat slow and congested aroudn here (for the most part).
I assume you mean the WFU main campus, as opposed to the Medical Center/ Baptist?
the main undergrad campus is more on the north end of town, at interection of Reynolda and Silas Creek Parkwayy (in case you wanted to Google Map it).

Hear 'ya on the 6-mo lease problem... when you say "reasonable", do you have kind of a price range? for example the townhouse I lived in was 550/mo, standard 2-debroom ~900 sq ft deal. Not bad.
Almost sounds like you need to find somebody in Lewisville or Clemmons, tobaccoville etc that is sub-letting a basement apt or similar deal.
As mentioned Clemmons is nice but growing too fast, traffic gongestion going up.. and alot of folks that can be too snooty for their own good. But hey, you live in Cary now! (BTW I grew up there during the early RTP days, I know the snooty crowd).
Oh, where NOT to live - east of Highway 52. Unless you get waay east and are into "k-vegas". Which btw I've known a few guys that have had a hard time finding small 1-person apartments there, k-ville is mostly classic "young-family"-ville starter homes...

My girlfriends parents are moving into a place called the Trails at Bethabara, 475 ish for a 1 bedroom. It seemed decent. About 10 minutes from Wake Forest. There was one big Jeep in the parking lot (noticed because it looked like mine). Shopping centers/resturants less than 1/2 mile away.

Move to Greensboro and rent a 2bdr house I have..across the street from my shop and less than a mile from 40/85 or 220...you can work on your junk all you want..pay rent on time and its all good..

pheery said:
i have to chime in..... body swap on a cherokee???

Take existing powertrain, drivetrain, armor and leather seats off mangled, tweaked, electrically fawked '88 4 dr and slap it all in a straight mid 90's 2 dr body that i am getting for pretty much free. Should keep me busy for the winter. :smokin:

RatLabGuy said:
Id you consider 30 min a tolerable commute limit, then you could live pretty much ANYWHERE around winston or surrounding towns. Traffic just isn't quitet hat slow and congested aroudn here (for the most part).

That's why I love the south, I'm coming off a 100 mile roundtrip commute in NJ that takes an hour on a good day, 2 in the rain/snow, 3 at worst, and 40 min if you're really late for a meeting and disregard the high likelyhood of getting arrested for the traffic stop.

RatLabGuy said:
I assume you mean the WFU main campus, as opposed to the Medical Center/ Baptist?
the main undergrad campus is more on the north end of town, at interection of Reynolda and Silas Creek Parkwayy (in case you wanted to Google Map it).

Yep i believe thats the spot, I'll have to see the contract tomorrow, as a couple locations were mentioned for a couple diff jobs they interviewed me for.

RatLabGuy said:
Hear 'ya on the 6-mo lease problem... when you say "reasonable", do you have kind of a price range?

I'd like to stay around $500 -ish. I got spoiled paying rent in greenville, where 500 got you 3 bedroom houses/ duplexes all day.

Thanks,
Keep the suggestions coming

You may also want to look for housing in the Ardmore area of Winston, sort of between Forsyth and Baptist hospitals. With the college population studying/working at Baptist hospital there is usually rooms for rent in the area. The zip code for Armore area is 27103 in case your searching on-line.

Gary

I love living near Winston Salem because you get all the modern conveniences of a bigger city but it doesn't have that big city feel. Having lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee and Chicago I don't miss that crap at all. When we first moved down here we stayed at the Hawk Ridge apartments in Clemmons on 158 while our house was being built. It was pretty peaceful and the rent was around $650 IIRC. We signed an initial 6 month lease and then pushed it out to 9 months when the dates on the house slipped.

Winston Blows.... if your still young move to winston and turn 50 in 5 0 minutes. Nothing to do after 9 unless you wanna go eat a second dinner.

Coming from a nice city liek Nashville i do have to say that Winsotn Salem is a drag.

Exploderpilot said:
Winston Blows.... if your still young move to winston and turn 50 in 5 0 minutes. Nothing to do after 9 unless you wanna go eat a second dinner.

Coming from a nice city liek Nashville i do have to say that Winsotn Salem is a drag.

Yeah someday you'll understand that it's pretty silly to compare Winston to a place 5x its size. What do you expect? Thisis the home of cigarettes, doughnuts, and underwear. Not music, art, film and oh yeah bible publishers, like Nash-Vegas.

One advantage to bwing near WFU though - no shortage of hot rich young co-eds...

Back