scrap metal = $$$

jdubb

short steel (less than 3 feet long I think) is selling for $7 per 100lbs. I took 480 lbs of junk carriers, rotors, ring gears, and other useless crap to the scrap yard and was awarded $33 cash. Reinforces my belief that you should never throw anything away.

Does that rate depend on whether it is just steel, or mixed w/ aluminum and other stuf?
I have a whole box full of mixed metals, from a transission to radiator to planetary gears.

thats pretty odd because everytime I go to DH Griffin they give me pretty much all the steel I can fit in the jeep and charge me nothing.

the scrap yard here has a different price for everything. I made several trips across the scales a while back, each time taking something specific off of the trailer. My biggest bucks come from the scrap stainless I had.
The local newspaper has a story in it this morning about a guy getting busted on copper theft. Over $4000 worth. I know of several guys who collect it and sell it for a living. Me, it's a way to clean up every so often and collect a lil bit to cover cost of hauling it away, and then some.
When the arm gets better I have several trucks I am gonna chop up so I can move them.

A used radiator will bring over $20. When scrapping a vehicle, it's starting to pay off to pull the wiring harness seperate for the copper. And don't forget the heater coil. Individually you get more. In one pile, they usually either grade it or just give you a lower rate for them to sort.

Catalytic convertor get 15-25 depending on size. Something about platnimum inside of them $1400/oz. I got $45 for 2 of them

Joel said:
How much gas and time did it take to collect $33?
It took me about an hour and $4 gas. You make more than $29 an hour where you work? I guess I could have been sitting on the couch.

scrap is usually broken down into...

mixed scrap
clean steel
dirty steel
cast
alum
mixed alum.

a friend back in NY who has a junk yard actually does most of his business via scrap. For years they have hired flunkys to pull the casing off the scrap electrical wire for the clean copper. Now its very worth the effort.

Also things like the alum radiators etc.. 1 small piece of steel thats attached to it, wether its a bolt, bracket/tab etc will drop it to the next lower category. Also pop the plastic tanks etc off, anything other than the main metal your after..

Just remember it may not be much but every # that is recycled is not ending up in a landfill.

I stripped about 250' of #2 copper wire once and got a lot of money for it... can't remember how much but a lot.

If I don't have several 55 gallon drums of copper or something I don't go to the scrap yards b/c you end up buying a tire every time you roll in there.

Back