Sea/motion sickness

GMAC

Down at the beach went out on a 4hr fishing trip, about a hour and a half in I started feeling light headed and ended up on the side of the boat. Never had this happen before in 38yrs. Grew up on boats as a baby on the lake, fishing, boating, jet skis, water skiing, etc… This was my 7th time out on a fishing charter. Also got light headed in the last month or so at carowinds riding stuff with my kid (been on all of them multiple times growing up) Is this a age thing? What gives? Take some pills? What say ye?

I think it is age. We went to Busch Gardens Williamsburg in April and after a few roller coasters back to back (no crowds), I had to take a break for a bit due to motion sickness. I'm 48.

Good night of sleep, no alcohol the night before. Crack a beer as soon as your foot hits the deck the next morning. Only way I could ever get on a boat without getting seasick.

Last edited:
I've always been able to do the lake or inshore, but offshore is a totally different animal for me. Even trolling nearshore, the slow motion really kills me. I've taken Dramamine and Bonine and never had relief. I like to fish enough that i will put myself through it, but I'm changing my tune as I get older. I don't recover for a couple days. Just had my dr prescribe Zofran since I have an older friend that it really helps. Hopefully I find out soon if it works for me.

It’s an age thing. Nothing bothered me as a young dude. Now, I can’t ride anything with the kids without it messing me up. A long day on the lake has me feeling like I’m still on the boat for several hours. Bonine and the wrist pressure Point bands seem to help me. Got to start loading up on it a day in advance prior to going fishing or flying though. We took a dinner cruise in Charleston Saturday night. Had to catch a glimpse of the horizon every so often to keep it together.

My sister, a doctor, told me to try ginger drops. Haven't yet, but they worked for her when she flew around Hawaii in a replica of TC's Island Hoppers chopper.

Seems like an age thing. I used to be able to spin the kids on a merry go round and hop on a few years ago. Now I get dizzy really quick. Still not bothered by boats, but heck sometimes now if I laugh too hard I get lightheaded.

Being sick offshore hours from the dock is miserable. You'd trade your house for a helicopter ride back to land sometimes. General prescription I use came from a professional dive instructor. Take one bonine / Dramamine the night before and one in the morning. I've only been sick once but that was before the above method. Seems to work for several folks I know... Dont know what to tell you about amusement park rides

My first trip upon a Navy boat back in '83 and being surrounded by other very caring Jarheads 🙄, was petrified I'd I'd spend the entire trip to Gitmo puking my guts out.

At some point, ran into a salty squid "Chief-something or other" doing just that.
Said he'd actually spent 14 of his 17 *YEARS* aboard ship and had never been sick... until he was.
QFT: "It's not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN your time comes" (applies to a couple million life scenarios)

My first trip upon a Navy boat back in '83 and being surrounded by other very caring Jarheads 🙄, was petrified I'd I'd spend the entire trip to Gitmo puking my guts out.

At some point, ran into a salty squid "Chief-something or other" doing just that.
Said he'd actually spent 14 of his 17 *YEARS* aboard ship and had never been sick... until he was.
QFT: "It's not a matter of IF, but a matter of WHEN your time comes" (applies to a couple million life scenarios)
That's exactly what my friend i fish with says. He's been sick a few times, but not usually. Me, i just like chumming, i guess....

For me it is defiinitely age.
Ive tried Dramamine but t knocks me out cold.
Got the ear patch prescription and that gets me sicker than the sea sickness.. I never puke I just never feel good all day

y
Dad tried the behind the ear patches and it didn’t work. Got these little stretchy bracelet things and good to go. Apparently a different pressure point kind of thing.
Yeah, those are called seabands. Don't know why I didn't think of them before. I keep some in my toiletry kit for when I fly. I think they help a little in that respect, but I have never used them on a boat. Maybe next time

Thinking it's age related as well. I'm 59, never had any type of motion sickness. Couple years ago felt odd after riding roller coasters with my Son.
Danged Annoying.
My wife uses the patch (1/2 at a time) with good results, she has motion sickness pretty bad.

Back