Sears Diehard Platinum (AGM / Odyssey) batteries 25% off

Typical....I just bought two red tops.... :rolleyes:

Is the group 34/78DT the right one I should get for my TJ and warn 8274? I've been waiting for this deal!

And if you're buying two or spending at least $300, you can use the coupon code SEARS35OFF300AFFILIATEDEALS to get another $35 off :)

Is the group 34/78DT the right one I should get for my TJ and warn 8274? I've been waiting for this deal!

Yup. The group 65 would work, too. It's a bit longer and a bit shorter. The group 34 is what I got for mine, though.

Yup. The group 65 would work, too. It's a bit longer and a bit shorter. The group 34 is what I got for mine, though.

I've been thinking about the group 65 after some reading today. Seems like maybe the better way to go. I don't see any need for the 2nd front terminals that the 34/78DT offers as I've got a set of military spec terminal lugs for the next battery/winch when I make the upgrade that should hold all my connections, so the extra CCA from the 65 will probably be a much better thing to have than the front terminals from the 34/78. Prices look indenticle for both batteries.

I've been thinking about the group 65 after some reading today. Seems like maybe the better way to go. I don't see any need for the 2nd front terminals that the 34/78DT offers as I've got a set of military spec terminal lugs for the next battery/winch when I make the upgrade that should hold all my connections, so the extra CCA from the 65 will probably be a much better thing to have than the front terminals from the 34/78. Prices look indenticle for both batteries.

Yeah, when I bought mine, they made a regular group 34 without hte 34/78 terminals on the front. I guess they've simplified their lineup now, since they only offer the platinum in three different formats.

But in a TJ, I see no reason why a 65 wouldn't work. You can just shorten up the clamp, and there's plenty of room to fit the battery without the positive terminal hitting the hood.

A few notes on these batteries based on my experiences.
I got the group 34 w/ top and side posts. Very convenient for adding winch lines.
- they are HEAVY. Seems prob 2x a typical battery
- Being AGM, if you completely drain it, it takes a little special care to bounce back - need a trickle charger w/ a rate intended for AGM.
- The Sears warranty is unbelievable, something like 10 years. They take your phone # and track by that.
- However - I have killed 2 of them, once from overdrawing w/ a winch, another from sitting a long time in the truck parked w/ some small parasitic draw... even w/ an AGM-designed trickle charge, would not come back. Both times Sears replaced it free, after doing their own hour-long test... importantly though the last time they told me flat out they would not replace it again unless I brought in the vehicle "so they could test out the vehicle and prove it wasn't something about the vehicle killing the battery" - e.g. they are trying to get out of the warranty replacement.
I told them no way that could happen b/c it was an offroad-only race truck and no way I was making arrangements to haul that thing to them and let them put their hands on it... plus the warranty info didn't state any stipulation like that. Really pissed me off.

I picked up 2 platinum marine batteries for a camper yesterday. Guy working there didn't even know they were on sale, about $75 off each.

I must b different I have a Blue Top Optima and like it in myJeep
I like the marine thumb screws terminals for accessories and the fact
I can run it dead with no worries sinse it's a deep cycle
The winch is hooked to the standard termals though

Group 34 are out of stock!

Ya need to come to Raleigh. They have some up here. :flipoff2:

Could you fit a group 65? It should be shorter and a little longer, but "bigger" (at least a little bit) if you go by the capacity specs.

Ya need to come to Raleigh. They have some up here. :flipoff2:

Could you fit a group 65? It should be shorter and a little longer, but "bigger" (at least a little bit) if you go by the capacity specs.
Really not sure Shawn. Would be going in a 2013 jk. I know that everyone I have seen using a diehard platinum runs a group 34.

Last edited:
Sure beats a bungie cord.

I dunno. Those things are so freakin' heavy... My thinking is one one hand, its mass of going to keep it pretty much exactly where you put it... or you've taken such an impact that it going to take some serious beef to keep it put once inertia kicks in.
Of course that means if you're gonna strap it, Barnes's is the way to go.

Back