Seat belt question

adman02

I have an old rusty scrambler I’m trying to get back on the road. It has a stock roll bar, but I added Corbeau Baja jp suspension seats. I need seat belts now. Can I use standard three point belts with these seats? Or do I need to install a harness bar and use harnesses?

I added corbou seats to my tj, still using factory belts with little to no problems.

The only actual problem is the female end of the belt (the part with release button), could use an extension as the new seats have a taller side bolster and the factory belt barely sticks up high enough...but once you get used to that, it does work fine.

The question is whether or not the seat gets in the way of proper placement of the belts - the lap belt needs to be low on your pelvis (across your hips), and the shoulder belt needs to cross your collarbone and terminate near your hip. If the seat bolsters (or seatbelt mounting points) get in the way of that, it's a no-go. A lot of the side bolsters are tall enough to interfere with the lap belt - in an accident, you'll submarine under the belt and end up a puddle in the floorboard.

The question is whether or not the seat gets in the way of proper placement of the belts - the lap belt needs to be low on your pelvis (across your hips), and the shoulder belt needs to cross your collarbone and terminate near your hip. If the seat bolsters (or seatbelt mounting points) get in the way of that, it's a no-go. A lot of the side bolsters are tall enough to interfere with the lap belt - in an accident, you'll submarine under the belt and end up a puddle in the floorboard.

I get what yer sayin' but not many people are skinny enough to not fill up the bolsters. Theres still positive arch to the belts going across the lap.

*I will admit I rarely drive my jeep on the hwy, and higher speed accidents could result in me becoming floorboard puddle. Idk

I get what yer sayin' but not many people are skinny enough to not fill up the bolsters. Theres still positive arch to the belts going across the lap.

*I will admit I rarely drive my jeep on the hwy, and higher speed accidents could result in me becoming floorboard puddle. Idk

A lot of ... Less skinny .... People wear their seat belts across their bellies in normal circumstances. They're still not wearing them correctly.

Back