Seat Covers

jeeptrip034.jpg

jeeptrip035.jpg

Yes, they can be redyed. Most do-it-yourself guys use SEM, I would not suggest it, the covers are flexible and SEM gets stiff and cracks, but it would do the job. It would take at least 2 cans, probably 3, at about $9-10ea.

Before I dyed, I would try a strong degreaser to remove the mildew. I can dye them for you with a much better product, but it would be next weekend before I could get to it. The pics are definitely not SEM.

You can change the color, but it is a bad idea. As the covers age the black will start to wear, allowing the base color to bleed through, plus it will double the dye needed. You would be better in the long run to clean these, sell them, and buy a new set.

Are you talking about the actual covering ON the seat, or some cloth covers made to fit OVER the seat? If the latter, why not just go to Advance or Auto Zone and buy some new ones? In fact, it'd probably be easier to use some Clorox on the mildew if it's on the actual seats, then put new covers over them anyhow.

Yea I'm talking about covers that fit on over the seat, I have some Bestop Seat Covers that fit over the seats. The reason I was asking is because the seat covers cost close to $100 new and I was wondering if there was a quick and easy wasy to color them because I have tried mildew remover and it doesn't do anything. I'm gonna try another cleaner this weekend, but if not I might just let em be since the main reason I wanted to dye em was to change the color but that sounds like its a bad idea.

I'd be honest I don't even know a way to dye them. Vinyl is more like a plastic than fabric. They make a spray paint that sticks to plastic?

RIT dye available at any grocery store in the laundry soap section will dye the crap out of just about anything. We used to take white LaCrosse stick heads and boil them in a pot of die for about an hour and the color lasted for several seasons. This will work if your seats are vinyl cloth or neoprene. But just a question, these things are going in that jeep of yours im guessing so why are you worried about making the seats look pretty on a topless jeep your ganna put in the mud? You could have Escalade seats in that thing and within a week they'd still look like trash. Just a thought.

Back