• International

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Land Rover

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Subaru

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

meatedge

I was visiting this page and realized that most NC 4x4 guys probebly have no clue about a certain secret trail at Brown Mountain ORV Park I found out about a while back. I went with some friends and took some pic hope you guys like

aimg376.imageshack.us_img376_4852_styles9uw.jpg

WOW, A pic of me and I-Lean ( the CJ)before all the major mods. That was several years ago! I thought you guys were from Boone??

So...you gonna let us in on the secret trail info. I was under the impression that there were only two trails on brown mountain open to us... i thought the rest were atv and dirtbike only.

As I said it was many years ago when these were took. I would have to go search for where that is up there. All I know is that it is a dead end trail at least for a Jeep. I think bikes and fourwheelers can go on through. It may verywell be a motorcycle or fourwheeler only trail. Back when I used to go up there, there wasn't very many signs marking trails, and we stopped a park Ranger and asked which trails can we go on. His Reply..."If you can fit on it, you can go on it" So sorry can't help you more that that. That little rock garden is very short, you go down it, turn around and then come up it. That's it. I didn't know it was a secret at all LOL

cumminsdzl said:
So...you gonna let us in on the secret trail info. I was under the impression that there were only two trails on brown mountain open to us... i thought the rest were atv and dirtbike only.

Diddo, I've been over all of those trails while on an atv and those pics aren't on the "vehicle only" trail. I've been wanting to take those other trails In my yota but I wanted to try to catch a ranger (whom in ten years I've only seen like twice) and ask permission first. Every time I pay up there I ask to open the rest of the trails for vehicle use, maybe if everybody did that we might see some open up? yeah, fat chance I know. :D But thanks for the pics anyway, I have seen other vehicles on that part of 1 while riding my 4wheeler up there. Here is ONE rock on the vehicle permitted trail.

So what trail is this? It looks familiar, but then...it doesn't.

And as to finding a ranger, of all the times I've been riding at brown, I've only once seen a ranger...and that was in the parking lot.

I been on that trail about 8-9 years ago. It was dark, I was drunk and could not find it if my life depended on it. Maybe if somebody posted a trail map I could jump start a brain cell or 2

This trail looks like th rocky section of the main trail.
aimg376.imageshack.us_img376_9752_email1fl.jpg

This is the section that interests me.
aimg376.imageshack.us_img376_4107_customers9uc.jpg

I have asked many times for more trails to open at Brown. I have seen some unopened areas and walked them. I think Brown could easily surpass URE with a little trail work and some leeway from the park service.

MAybe someone with good contacts at URE could find out soem contact info for the Ranger in charge of Brown Mtn.

irondog said:
only 2 trail at brown moutain #1-#8

Huh?
Are you saying the only 2 trails open to vehicles at Brown are 1 and 8?

If so, We know that. We are asking about the pics and hoping someday they will allow more to be used.

Franklin said:
I been on that trail about 8-9 years ago. It was dark, I was drunk and could not find it if my life depended on it. Maybe if somebody posted a trail map I could jump start a brain cell or 2

Man, the story of your fawkin life... :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

Sometime during the week next week I'll take the bike and see if I can find it. As many times as I've been up there, I've probably only ridden 1/3 of all the trails...

I've been there but it was like 12 years ago!! :D We used to mtn. bike there too and ride dirt bikes a long time ago. Go to the top of the main fire road and it starts up there.

uglyjeepoffroad said:
I have asked many times for more trails to open at Brown. I have seen some unopened areas and walked them. I think Brown could easily surpass URE with a little trail work and some leeway from the park service.

I agree. With the elevation changes present there, the trails would be great for wheeling. There would be some serious hill climbs. I am also a dirt biker though, and love the trail system at Brown Mountain for riding, so I would hate to lose that. The one-way trails give nice peace of mind to really move out on a bike. I was on a dirt bike and had a head on collision with a fourwheeler on the Sawmill trail at URE back in about 91.

Trail map is at the bottom:
http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/brown_mountain_orv.pdf

That almost looks like what I think is #10, I can remember it looking something like that years ago when the trails weren't directional. It's either there or between the upper end of 8 and 9 on trail 1. Been awhile but I have a pretty good memory and those pics look like one of those spots.

braxton357 said:
Man, the story of your fawkin life... :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

I have calmed down a little. 30 was an eye opener :D

pretty sure that is the elevation change part on BM Ridge #9

upnover said:
WOW, A pic of me and I-Lean ( the CJ)before all the major mods. That was several years ago! I thought you guys were from Boone??
Up yeh its not that it was secret I just remember we were not suppossed to be on the trail. Yeh we were from Boone except for the Grand Cherokee as thats my friend Jay and Jay and I are from Winston. Didnt really know anybody else except for the blue cherokee driver. Thats it. Glad to know that the jeep that should up is you man. Do you have any recent pics of the jeep and do you have any pics of that full size green cherokee that came with you but really didnt wheel the jeep much. Remember?

yep

here ya go

Attachments

• Nick.jpg
    Nick.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Robinsville NC 111304 003.jpg
    Robinsville NC 111304 003.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 318
Back