Security System Recommendations

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
Looks like I'll be moving back to Stanly County in the next few weeks and while I'm working on the 'new' place I want to put in a security system. I have blink cameras at my house now, but I'd like something that can be integrated into a DVR of some sort and accessible via an app if possible. I'd like to monitor internal/external cameras in the house/on the porch, external cams in the carport ~60' away, internal cams in the garage ~90' away & internal/external cams in the shop ~350' away. I'm figuring for the shop I'll need to use PtP antennas to extend the WiFi. Bonus points if the system can support PoE cams and/or integrate leak sensors for the utility room & well. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Brandon

I have been very happy with my Qolsys panels from Surety. Connected Home Security & Automation | Professional Monitoring | Surety

All DIY, super simple and very reliable. Monitoring is thru alarm.com

I have 3 systems with them, around $20 a month for each. Lots cheaper than the chain places. As many add-ons as you want as far as sensors.

Add on video, etc. I have water sensors thru the house, and a shutoff valve on the main supply, controlled and monitored thru the alarm.

Been happy with the Lorex system I bought from Costco. Installed myself (relatively easy) using all Cat6 cable. No subscription fees, all thru the app that I monitor myself.

The video at the 1:45:23am mark will give you some night time video action (f'n ass hats).

Attachments

• IMG_1574.png
    IMG_1574.png
    820.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1575.png
    IMG_1575.png
    863.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1576.png
    IMG_1576.png
    908.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1577.png
    IMG_1577.png
    829.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230626153703283_LNRZ657FDAAF9BC_L_99_L090626153703.mp4
    39.5 MB
Last edited:
Been happy with the Lorex system I bought from Costco. Installed myself (relatively easy) using all Cat6 cable. No subscription fees, all thru the app that I monitor myself.

The video at the 1:45:23am mark will give you some night time video action (f'n ass hats).

I will add I went with the battery Lorex cameras and they are so-so, so if you go battery vs hard wired, take that into consideration

I will add I went with the battery Lorex cameras and they are so-so, so if you go battery vs hard wired, take that into consideration
I have a buddy that works in the industry. He highly suggested to go w/ wired over battery bc of overall quality w/ picture, etc.

Have an OG Arlo system (3 cameras + base)... added a newer 4K camera and surprise! they only support recording/notifications for $8/month 🤬
EDIT: BTW, it's for sale 🤣

Based on dislike of nickel&dime subscriptions...Went with these solar jobs at the shop and like them.
App is "OK", can do subscription based cloud storage or on-cam micro-SD, and NO FAWKING WIRES so they can be placed anywhere! (not just where wiring is convenient)
6 months of catching every blowing leaf/shadow and the 128GB SD's are still 95% free and will stay juiced after 4-5 days without the solar chargers.

Have an OG Arlo system (3 cameras + base)... added a newer 4K camera and surprise! they only support recording/notifications for $8/month 🤬
Yeah, gonna hang on to my old Arlo and Wyze cams until they finish dying. Then I will just shoot anything that moves and ask questions later.

EDIT: BTW, it's for sale 🤣

Based on dislike of nickel&dime subscriptions...Went with these solar jobs at the shop and like them.
App is "OK", can do subscription based cloud storage or on-cam micro-SD, and NO FAWKING WIRES so they can be placed anywhere! (not just where wiring is convenient)
6 months of catching every blowing leaf/shadow and the 128GB SD's are still 95% free and will stay juiced after 4-5 days without the solar chargers.

I replaced Arlo with Reolink for the cost increase they recently had. It will pay for itself over time.

Back