servicing 5speed transmission and transfer case on a 99 nissan frontier...

ord.sgt.26NC

Gott mit uns!
looking to change all the lubes under daddy's truck. Since it's mine now and been driving it allmost 2 years,probably time to. My online research hasn't really helped me alot. So,what lube do they take? They don't share fluids and evryone online says to put in the transfercase whatever is in the tranny. I call bullshit on that and also hard for me to believe the tranny takes gl4 gear lube too.All the modern 5 speeds I have delt with since the late 80s have taken an automatic tranny fluid of some sort. I got a simple question yet can't find the simple answere. Fuckin japs.

Why is GL4 hard to believe? Lots of cars and trucks use GL4 or GL5 in the trans. Your Frontier probably specs GL4 in the trans and GL5 in the diffs, which is pretty common for manual trans stuff with RWD.
My Subarus are designed to use GL-5 for everything, because the trans also houses the front diff.
GL4 or ATF just depends on what the trans is designed for. They are not generally interchangeable without possible shifting problems, so use whatever the manual says.

There's not a huge difference between GL4 and ATF for something without synchros like a transfer case, so putting whatever is in the trans (depending on auto or manual trans) makes sense.

My quick search says that the transfer case can use either, but that the factory fill was ATF?

Last edited:
Gl4 should be low sulfur to keep from oxidizing the brass synchros found in some manual transmissions.

Napa carries it in stock as hypoid gear Lube. Should either be a black or white gallon bottle with a teal label. If I have a spare bottle at shop I'll post a pic.

I have never used atf in a manual trans that has called for gl4

Gl5 is high sulfur, and will oxidize the brass much faster and lead to premature synchronizer wear.

thanks for all the info...well aware of the differences of gl4 and gl5... the Willys uses gl4
starting with my 88 ranger-mazda 5 speed..autotranny fluid
1990 isuzu 4wd pickemup with 5 speed...auto tranny fluid
1992 ford f350 with zf5 speed...synthetic auto tranny fluid.
That's why my question about gl4 vs atf.
gl4 in both it is then.

Fwiw, Subaru FWD case is part of the trans but it is sealed and fluid serviced separately. I bet most manuals that spec gl4 would be happy with synchromesh fluid.

Fwiw, Subaru FWD case is part of the trans but it is sealed and fluid serviced separately.

Only for the auto trans. Manual trans is shared. The STi 6MT has separate volumes but that's because of the lateral case bulkheads as it's not a longitudinal split case like the 5MT. Just two separate compartments with two separate drain plugs on the 6MT, but same GL5 fluid and same service interval. 5MT is one case, one shared volume, GL5.

My 07 dodge's g56 calls for MobilTrans SHC DC a 50wt oil that is very hard to find. I use mobil delvac STF 50 which I can source locally.

But if you go by what dodge says it take atf. I'm not putting atf in a manual gear box.

My 07 dodge's g56 calls for MobilTrans SHC DC a 50wt oil that is very hard to find. I use mobil delvac STF 50 which I can source locally.

But if you go by what dodge says it take atf. I'm not putting atf in a manual gear box.
What about Ford zf-5? Calls for d/m II.. needle rollers don't like thick lube.

Not a ford guy but quick google search shows that zf recommends a 75-90 mtf

Yes, Nissan simply puts the same fluid in both. I used to run Castrol Syntorq LT until it went obsolete. Now Valvoline started making a "syncromesh" manual transmision fluid simply called "MTF". I checked the technical specifications and it is API GL-4 compatible, non-corrosive, and listed for a pile of foreign and domestic transmissions. Best of all it is $9/quart!

Tech Sheet: http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/vps_ma ... _fluid.pdf

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... DetailTab_

I have this stuff in my manual and it shifts great. DO NOT RUN GL-5!!!! It has chemicals in it which will eat up the soft metals in the transmission.

zf5=auto tranny fluid but in saying that,a local so called truck shop serviced mine before I bought the truck. It had some 90 weight and lucas they put in it. Tore it down and it didn't look bad.Synchros were shot but the bearings looked fine.
onlyonedr, I was hoping you would chime in.

I usually run the Amsoil Syntorq replacement in my NV4500. It's a GL4 and pretty reasonably priced at 12 bucks a qt...compared to the 26 bucks a dealership wants for the Castrol stuff that's in a GM bottle.

Back