Sharps container/used needle bin in Cabela's restrooms

buellconvert

So me and the old lady went to Cabela's this afternoon and I needed to use the head, I am washing my hands and see in the mirror over my shoulder a freaking used needle bin hanging on the wall, with at least a half dozen used needles in it...I was like WTF? Has the world come to this?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Diabeetus.
B79C94EC-5ACF-449C-A280-54C764A3F22D.jpeg

So me and the old lady went to Cabela's this afternoon and I needed to use the head, I am washing my hands and see in the mirror over my shoulder a freaking used needle bin hanging on the wall, with at least a half dozen used needles in it...I was like WTF? Has the world come to this?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
They had one of those in the restroom at my previous employer. We had a shit ton of used needles after doing IVF, so it was a convenient place to put them. Other people were diabetic or did heroin so they used it too.

Read a couple months ago that this was becoming a thing to try to deter folks from leaving bloody needles shoved in toilet paper rolls (primarily drug related). Can’t say I’ve ever seen a needle in a toilet paper roll, but also feels like someone woulda thought needles in general trash would have been a bad idea before 2019, and if someone won’t throw a needle in the trash, why would they throw it in a designated receptacle.

Yeah sharps containers are in most public restrooms so people cleaning the trash aren’t faced with having to deal with needles and get stuck by a random used needle.
It’s normal

Obesity is higher than its ever been, which results in diabetes being the same. Pretty normal to see those containers in a public restroom.

Given, I intentionally try not to go out in public as a general rule...but where are you guys shopping that this is ‘normal’. I don’t make it a habit to spend much time in public bathrooms either...but can’t say I’ve seen these things frequently enough to say they’re normal. When I have seen them it’s been like a Walmart and just assumed they wanted their homeless drug users to be courteous.

The drug use is part of the reason. But I have seen them in Walmart, Kohl’s, Dicks, Target, etc.

As a real estate manager, I can tell you with a decent amount of certainty, it is for liability purposes. To protect building owners and their custodial service providers. We are receiving increasing complaints from cleaners about finding needles in trash. Why are there more needles than ever?....as @77GreenMachine said, junkies and diabetics.

I am a diabetic. I am not obese, as a matter of fact, I am a good bit under weight. 175ish on a 6'2" frame. I take shots, twice a day. both times, it's at home. Although, I do realize that some take shots more often. But most insulin has to be refrigerated. If that's the case, a cooler in the car would make more sense. Taking a shot in the bathroom, to me is like a woman going in one to nurse her baby. It's nasty.

I am a diabetic. I am not obese, as a matter of fact, I am a good bit under weight. 175ish on a 6'2" frame. I take shots, twice a day. both times, it's at home. Although, I do realize that some take shots more often. But most insulin has to be refrigerated. If that's the case, a cooler in the car would make more sense. Taking a shot in the bathroom, to me is like a woman going in one to nurse her baby. It's nasty.

Some people don't have a choice. Type1 Diabetes is a lot different. Take a shot in a bathroom, take a shot at the table I am eating at. I will do it anywhere. I do NOT have a choice of "where" I do it.

However, I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of needles you find at places are NOT being thrown out by a diabetic.

edit - Insulin is also good for 30 days outside of a refrigerator pretty easily, as long as it doesn't get in "heat". A lot of T1D's are either on a pump or on pens now, and the pens carry about a 30 day supply and do not have to be refrigerated. Most of them aren't using single use syringes anymore, that is a long gone thing for most people that have to daily multiple injections per day.

Last edited:
Regardless of who is throwing them out, I'd rather them be in a sharps container than endangering staff and customers.

Yes perhaps I am wrong, and it is geared more towards junkies than diabetics. I’ll eat that one and say I’m wrong, guess it’s become normalish to see the containers so I don’t think about it.

But very much agree I’d rather junkies have a proper place to dispose of them. Is it advocating their use? No/maybe? But it certainly helps keep the rest of us and the people cleaning safer.

Yes perhaps I am wrong, and it is geared more towards junkies than diabetics. I’ll eat that one and say I’m wrong, guess it’s become normalish to see the containers so I don’t think about it.

But very much agree I’d rather junkies have a proper place to dispose of them. Is it advocating their use? No/maybe? But it certainly helps keep the rest of us and the people cleaning safer.

This is the teen pregnancy/free birth control debate all over again.

This is the teen pregnancy/free birth control debate all over again.

You’re right :(

If the junkie throws it in the floor or right in the trash where a curious, unknowing kid picks it up, we are pissed. If people decide since we have junkies we should give them clean needles and a place to properly dispose of them, we’re pissed.

There’s no win.

You’re right :(

If the junkie throws it in the floor or right in the trash where a curious, unknowing kid picks it up, we are pissed. If people decide since we have junkies we should give them clean needles and a place to properly dispose of them, we’re pissed.

There’s no win.
Kill all the junkies!

Kill all the junkies!
But what if junkies arent really people. I mean we could argue they dont have clarity of thought, so maybe we CAN just kill them and its not murder its a medical procedure and its ok.

Or maybe we just keep them on ice....forever :D

But what if junkies arent really people. I mean we could argue they dont have clarity of thought, so maybe we CAN just kill them and its not murder its a medical procedure and its ok.

Or maybe we just keep them on ice....forever :D

Damn progressives...

Back