Shop design ideas -

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
So I've been wanting to build an addition to my shop ever since I sold the old business. As you saw in the other thread I came into a nice 2-post lift so figured I'd start planning a home for it. My current shop is 40x26 and has a terrible design with 8' tall ceilings. I am thinking of building an addition off the side for the lift. Probably do a 30x20 addition, make it my shop area and the rest my storage/small repair area.

Here are my thoughts. I am going to build it like this. Stick build the roof joists so they will match the current roof ridge. The rear will match the existing rear roof line and the front will protrude like this. It'll be butted up against the existing shop. The walls will be 10', but with the stick built roof the ceiling will be higher. This will prevent the new shop from being a huge monolith in the back yard towering over the existing shop.

Thoughts?

schochautovoidedcheck.png

Basically the trusses in the new area will be built in a way to allow your lift to be used to max even with a big honking lifted 4x4 something or other on it? Might would do a door on other side so a "drive thru" concept? Possibly ask if it needs to be long enough to fit a trailer inside or taller doors for RV / travel trailer?

Basically the trusses in the new area will be built in a way to allow your lift to be used to max even with a big honking lifted 4x4 something or other on it? Might would do a door on other side so a "drive thru" concept? Possibly ask if it needs to be long enough to fit a trailer inside or taller doors for RV / travel trailer?
Yep, the ceiling height will be pretty good, although really the top of the vehicle won't be over 12ft anyway because it is a top cable lift. I thought about maybe a door on the opposite side, but behind it is just some woods and an old creek bed. I can access behind the shop around the side of it, I have about 70ft clear to the creek on the side.

I think 30' would be long enough to store any trailer I would have, but probably would never put anything in there like that. I might put a taller door on that one, but really the only thing that'll probably be in there are cars.

A friend here in town built a shop and it has scissor trusses. Plenty of room for lifts with 8 ft walls with them.

A friend here in town built a shop and it has scissor trusses. Plenty of room for lifts with 8 ft walls with them.
I'm going to go with 10ft walls here on the addition just because I can put a little taller door on it that way. I just did some sketching and if I do a scissor truss with 10ft walls I'd have room to lift the Suburban with plenty of space under it to work still. Most of the other cars on there will be my Trans Am, Lemans or Chieftain and there will be plenty of headroom there.

So looking at budget shit and all, I think it would actually be cheaper to go ahead and frame it out with studs and build it like an actual building right off the bat. I'm just going to do panel siding on it for now, cheaper and easier.

Back