Shop needed

benXJ

Any recomendations for a tuning or repair shop in the Triangle area that is familiar with TBI / OBD1 setups?

The AFI fuel injection kit on my 2F landcruiser is acting up and I'm done throwing parts at it.

Thanks!

Have you contacted AFI about the issues? I had issues with a Howell TBI system and never thought to call them due to a change I had made with the motor until late in the game. They fixed me up immediately

Yea...they just tell me to replace parts or are skeptical that I messed up something.

It ran fine one day and the next day it didn't. New O2, new fuel pump, new ignition control module. All brand name. Changed at their guidance, no fix.

So im unsure about Landcruiser but my 92 2 door you can pull codes using a paperclip and SOS signals essentially. like the video below

Haven't pulled codes. Don't have an OBD1 tool. No CEL tho.
No CEL on or no light? Know anyone with a Snap on Brick?
So im unsure about Landcruiser but my 92 2 door you can pull codes using a paperclip and SOS signals essentially. like the video below

On Jeeps from 91 - 95 you just key on and off 3 times. CEL flashes start coed stored codes then end codes.

Haven't pulled codes. Don't have an OBD1 tool. No CEL tho.
Never seen an ODB1 "tool", but I'm sure they exist(ed)?
I've used a homemade SERIAL cable ($2) and USB cable ($20) for new laptop... and WinALDL ($free$)

There are lots of conditions that won't fire the CEL... like clogged fuel filters, dead/dying fuelpumps, and others

Never seen an ODB1 "tool", but I'm sure they exist(ed)?
I've used a homemade SERIAL cable ($2) and USB cable ($20) for new laptop... and WinALDL ($free$)

There are lots of conditions that won't fire the CEL... like clogged fuel filters, dead/dying fuelpumps, and others
Snap on MT 2500 aka Brick... Will do all vehicles with OBD 1and OBD 2 up to 01 IIRC with the right cartridges and keys. About $200 - $300 on ebay.

1640101109097.png

Another thing I didn't know I needed.
Watch eBay they can be found cheaper. Mine was $150. Click wheel did not work. Opened it to clean it and found it unplugged. I bought it for the MJ when we had it. They read live data on the old Renix system. Great for diagnosing problems on the older systems.

I'm using an aftermarket Affordable fuel injection kit. It has a CEL light wired in, but is not illuminated, which would indicate a problem.

I'll investigate a way to pull codes.
Fuel pump, O2, ICM and MAP sensor are new.

Checking fuel pressure soon.

I'm using an aftermarket Affordable fuel injection kit. It has a CEL light wired in, but is not illuminated, which would indicate a problem.
Does it light at all? Mine (GM ODB1 ECM, same as affordable uses) will light the CEL on Key On (Run position), Engine Off and when there's an issue...

I was very pleased with Kings auto service on West street in Raleigh. I would give them a call and see if they would jump into it for you. Great, no nonsense shop.

Carolina off-road outfitters might also be a place to check out, they are located over by the farmers market, but I have zero first hand experience with them.

Back